2007 M8 cuts out/sputters at half throttle

Bighairybeast

Reaction score
I have a 2007 M8 that I use as a backup sled. Took it out for ride and seemed to be running good but it turned into a real fuel pig. Actually ran out and had to borrow gas from others that were between 1/4 and 1/2 tank.

Next day I had to skip a creek to get around an avalanche that blocked the trail. Unfortunately hit it wrong and got belt wet and stopped mid creek. Shut it off immediately and it was up to the front bumper in water. Dragged it out of creek, pulled plugs and drained engine.

After that it ran fine for a couple hours. Stopped for lunch break at cabin long enough for sled to completely cool. After lunch sled seems to be running fine until about mid throttle then it cuts out and sputters.

I pulled all connections and coated with di-electric grease (except large white connector with three wires going to CCU, can't for the life of me get it apart).

Any ideas? Possible previous ride overfueling related to problem and nothing to do with it going for a swim??

progress.gif

Bighairybeast

Reaction score
I'll try wording this different.

1st ride sled started burning an excessive amount fuel. Seemed to be running as good as normal just burning a lot of gas. What could cause sled to suddenly burn way more gas??

Didn't look at anything as snow was good and wanted to ride so..

2nd ride. Sunk in creek up to front bumper. Shut off before went down but still filled motor. Dragged out, drained, ran as normal for a couple hours. Stopped for lunch, sled cooled, never able to attain full throttle again.

Maybe increased fuel consumption was symptom leading to current problem and my current problem was on its way without the swim?

Darrel

Reaction score
Was that your first ride of the season? If so try to clean your Injectors.
I would also look into your reeds. I doubt that the creek would have anything to do with your problems.

Bighairybeast

Reaction score
My first ride on it but girlfriend used it a couple times so just easy rides. I'll check injectors. Had a lot of broken reeds on this sled and they usually affected the bottom end but I won't rule it out.

Stockorwalk

Reaction score
Had similar issue but had check engine light, powervalve cable broke

Top Bottom