2006 Summit X 800 Idling Issue

djpred

Reaction score
My 2006 Summit 800 has about 1300 miles. Ever since I started it this fall, it does not want to idle when i first fire it up. It starts fine, but eventually slows down and dies. It dosent miss a beat when I am riding it. once I have been riding it for a while, and I stop, it will Idle high, and pulse around 3000 rpm for a few seconds, then settle down and usually idle around 1600 rpm. Has anyone experienced this? Not sure if a have a linkage problem with my throttle cables, or something in the carbs? Is it a possible indiactor of a leaking crank seal? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

snowgood

Reaction score
If it is cold? keep the choke on for a minute,other than that ,it sounds normal to me.Burrrrp the throttle it helps,if that works great:d

djpred

Reaction score
No, how it is acting is not normal. It is not a matter of leaving the choke on. Usually I start it, and walk away from it to put on my gear as it warms up. Now it will not do that. It will just slowly deacrease rpms until it dies. I have adjusted the idle screw, but it dosent seem to change anything.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could indeed be leakage. It is not normal.

I'd personally pressure test the engine. It's relatively easy and costs 20$ for a home made kit.

For a quick visual, do as RTK mentioned above. The 06's carb boots were a lot better then older models, but the Y-pipe bolts still back out. You will probably find a few loose bolts.

djpred

Reaction score
Thank you for the input....I have heard that the exhaust bolts are famous for coming loose, and the carb boots can get leaks. I will check this.How would you do a engine pressure test at home? What is a good spray to use around the carb boots and PTO to test for vac leaks? Brake clean? WD 40? Thanks again for the input!

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never done it personally, but I've heard of people using starter fluid, or brake clean.

I wouldn't use WD-40.

Go to dootalk and search for pressure test or leak test. You should be able to find the items. You can buy them all at CDN tire. Skip the guage and just use a decent tire guage and bicycle pump.

basecamp

Reaction score
I found that mine would not idle right and would take 5-6 pulls to get it to start changed the plugs it had BR9ES in it, from when I bought it. Put in BR9ECS and it seems to run great and start better.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd lean more towards cleaning the carbs and tossing an ECS plug in to potentially fix your issue.

I'm not sure but I believe loose y-pipes, leaking boots and seals will make for a lean condition and it will actually idle faster but I can never remember that one for sure.

Top Bottom