2006 M7 162'' Track Opinions

ltyerman

Reaction score
Hey, so this is my first post in the forum. I'm looking at purchasing a 2006 M7 with the 162'' track. I am fairly new to sledding and pretty light (160 lbs). Would this sled be to much? Will the longer track be a problem? He is currently running an attack 20 track, though from reading other posts there seems to be some issues with this particular track. Any opinions on that, or should I go for a different track all together? Any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

ltyerman

Reaction score
Also is there any other modifications I should look into? The guy is running risers, new bars, has a can, and a lighter/taller seat as well as a new hood.

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a power claw 162 if you want to switch out tracks $300 .. it came off of a 2012 m8 cause the guy was putting on a 3 inch so i bought it for my 2010 m8 but have since changed my mind and am getting a whole new sled lol

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my opinion you won't go wrong with an M7. The Attack 20 track on mine worked way better when we turned it around though.

Jimbara

Reaction score
Get rid of that Attack 20 track. all it does is spin with no grip. That power claw for 300 is pretty good deal.

ltyerman

Reaction score
i have a power claw 162 if you want to switch out tracks $300 .. it came off of a 2012 m8 cause the guy was putting on a 3 inch so i bought it for my 2010 m8 but have since changed my mind and am getting a whole new sled lol

I wont be buying the sled for a few weeks. Dont have the money saved yet. Are the lugs 1.75 or 2.25? I might be interested if its still available when i purchase the sled.

ltyerman

Reaction score
Thanks for the input so far guys. So as far as sled size and track length does this sled sound like a good investment for a new rider who wants to shred without a bunch of problems? I hear the M7`s are practically bulletproof.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sleds are not a good investment so get that right out of you head.....You neglected to say km on sled and asking price. If you are new to this I highly recommend bringing a bud or taking to get inspected. Things add up really fast.

ltyerman

Reaction score
Sleds are not a good investment so get that right out of you head.....You neglected to say km on sled and asking price. If you are new to this I highly recommend bringing a bud or taking to get inspected. Things add up really fast.

It is a 2006 M7 with 2400 km. It costs $3500 CAN and the current owner says there is no problems besides a slight crack in the hood. I will be talking with a professional before i purchase this sled. I was just hoping for some input prior to that.

ltyerman

Reaction score
it would be a good starter sled for mountains change the track

Thanks for the reply, any suggestions for the track? Ive heard the challenger extreme or the camoplast powerclaw may be a good option?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is a 2006 M7 with 2400 km. It costs $3500 CAN and the current owner says there is no problems besides a slight crack in the hood. I will be talking with a professional before i purchase this sled. I was just hoping for some input prior to that.

Sounds like you are on track..........

ltyerman

Reaction score
Sounds like you are on track..........

I'm not sure if that pun was intentional but I enjoyed it. Any opinion on the 162" track? Is it too much? I will be riding mostly powder and climbing, as well as some trails.

nathan#19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had an 05 M7 162" and it was great! Keep the engine stock and u will get Lots of km and minimal problems. Only prob i ever had was with the powervalves / cables/ actuator. I ran the attack20 and it was ok. In wet fluffy snow it was not good so I flipped it around and then it would dig like crazy!
The front skid pivot update is a must on the M7. And upgrade the boards if its going to see real snow. Given the option I would go with the next shorter track. That's what I have on my M8 now and the 153 is a better match to the HP on the stock 800 and an even better match to the 700. I know I would have had more fun on my M7 if it had been shorter.

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am 135lbs and ride an 09 M8 with a 162" 2.5 camo extreme. Do not be afraid of the track length. The only time i notice it is longer is when i thought i was stuck and wasn't. Never noticed any diff from the 153 2.25 it had on it.

TB

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 162 m7 is a great starter sled and the powerclaw or camo extreme are both good all around tracks. The camo is a bit better but also a fair bit more money. The older M-series skids kinda suck so down the road you could look for one of the newer skids with floats in it they're a big upgrade. The 7's have a little less power but the lack of torque is what is more noticeable you just have to plan your lines well and have your clutching dialed. A good rider will take an M7 anyplace an M8 will go.

ltyerman

Reaction score
And the buddy I would ride with has a stock 2004 Polaris Vertical Edge 800 with 2in lugs. How would the M7 im looking at compare? Anybody who as rode or owned one of these sled care to give me some feedback?

ltyerman

Reaction score
Okay thanks, I think the 700 will be just fine for now. I'm used to riding a 500.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the buddy I would ride with has a stock 2004 Polaris Vertical Edge 800 with 2in lugs. How would the M7 im looking at compare? Anybody who as rode or owned one of these sled care to give me some feedback?

On a climb probably fairly close if he has his working well, in the trees the M-series will kill it the M7 just handes so much better.

Top Bottom