2006 Kodiak 400 will not start

Hef

Reaction score
After several months of not using my quad it would not start for me. I changed the plug drained the gas and put new gas in the tank. I did get it to start today and it ran for about 10 seconds, it died and I was able to get it to start again which it ran for about 10 seconds.

Now it will not start, I read a post where someone else was having a similar problem but it was water in the carb and maybe water in the gas too. Someone told him to drain the gas out of the carb, I guess there is a drain plug or cock to turn to drain the gas.

I am not very good with engine stuff, can someone give me a little advice and what to do next. If I need to drain the gas out of the carb could you please explain to me where the carb is located and how to drain the gas out, I think I might have some of the old gas in the carb.

Thank you

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After several months of not using my quad it would not start for me. I changed the plug drained the gas and put new gas in the tank. I did get it to start today and it ran for about 10 seconds, it died and I was able to get it to start again which it ran for about 10 seconds.

Now it will not start, I read a post where someone else was having a similar problem but it was water in the carb and maybe water in the gas too. Someone told him to drain the gas out of the carb, I guess there is a drain plug or cock to turn to drain the gas.

I am not very good with engine stuff, can someone give me a little advice and what to do next. If I need to drain the gas out of the carb could you please explain to me where the carb is located and how to drain the gas out, I think I might have some of the old gas in the carb.

Thank you
\\\

no problem.. heres what u do

assuming ur kodiak is the auto-

remove the seat. then remove the side panels they should just come off easy, they are held on by little rubber grommets.... just gently pull them off towards the outside of the atv

then as your sitting on it- the left side will have carb access

turn ur fuel off= there should be a small phillips/star screw at the very bottom of the carb facing u..... you should be able to unscrew that to drain the carb- your carb may or maynot have a drain tube off the bottom

watch for fuel spill as of course it is flamable,
if you can catch the fuel in a contain or cup and there is water present you should be able to see it - it will be like a clear bead floating around in the fuel,, you can also tell by the smell if fuel is old.....

once the fuel stops flowing......open up the fuel valve to flush the carb,,let fuel run through for 5-10 seconds...making sure to catch it in a container....

then shut fuel off, tighten carb drain screw........open valve,,,,, fresh fuel should be now in the carb.

next step....remove the top off the air box and inspect air filter area..make sure it has not been plugged or filled filled by mouse squirrel or other pesky rodent.......

when airbox is clean, remove filter and clean it.....just because

after filter is cleaned,,,, leave off temporarily block of intake hole going into carb....... try to start machine.... if it fires...slowly unblock intake hole..... re-install filter , lid, and let idle....

if no luck then pm me and i will help u get it going.....there fairly basic but dont feel bad....you cant know everything.....about everthing....thats my job....lol

good luck

Terry

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also check the rubber tube on the gas tank lid, as it sometimes gets plugged. Just pull it off and blow it out. I just had an idle problem with my wolverine and I took that tube off and blew it out. It was just about plugged with something...not sure what, but it's better now.

headstrong

Reaction score
Terry, I know this is an old post but having same problem as hef, did all you suggestions, only turns on for a sec, flushed carb, new air filter, new batt, still will not turn on. could it be the idle jets? got it new on 2006 only has about 20hrs run time, like new, it just sat for a few months with fuel in the tank. I did drain old fuel and added new I have the service manual just need some tips from a pro on what to check
thanks

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you leave the quad sitting for a while with fuel in the carburator, it turns into a varnish type coating on the inside of the carb. The jets could be completely plugged with it and the float needle valve as well. If you are willing to take the carb out and apart, you will probably find that it is gummed up. I haven't found any cleaner that removes the really stuck on stuff, but if you spend the time and pick away at it, you should get it cleaned up and running again. Good luck

Top Bottom