2006 Dodge 1 ton Diesels, any good?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy has a 2006 Dodge 1 ton club cab diesel 4X4 he needs to sell and I could use a heavy duty truck for work and what not. What are the pro's and cons of the 2006 dually's? I have always been a GMC guy, kinda hurts to look at a Dodge, but Im the first to admit I know little about them.

Thanks in advance.

dpolacik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had great luck with my 06.Fuel mileage was above good and 570,000kms problem free. 50/50 bush hwy and a fair amount of towing.

MRimes

Reaction score
Cant go wrong with 5.9l cummins probley the best thing dodge did was put this in their trucks. Too bad dodge changed engine in late 07, if buddy looked after the truck at all go for it.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
pics from my phone 2996.jpg 06 was a very good year.Mine has about 230,000km and still going strong!

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2006 dually club cab, 5.9 auto, 270,000 km, 4WD, loaded, appears to be in nice shape, no dents or abuse, box strait, good rubber.

Whats it worth?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look at the air intake setup, those intakes were famous for leaking and dusting engines. Also I have seen a fair amount of trouble with front ends usually every 100k its a complete makeover. I can't remember if it was 06 but right around that era there was some injector issues as well. Also fuel filtration was weak on these rigs make sure you get fuel from a quality source or upgrade the filter system.

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
06 is one of the best years. They look virtually the same as the 09's but still have the 5.9 before the switch to the 6.7 with emissions. The auto trans isn't amazing but if taken care of works just fine. If you constantly tow at the trucks limit or want to add a bunch of power it will need an upgrade down the road. No injector issues with 06's that was primarily 03/04's. 06 got an interior upgrade but the seats suck. If I were to buy a 3rd gen dodge it would be an 06 for sure.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll might take it if you don't, I need a dually for the farm,..

Change the fuel filter to a baldwin pf7977, swap over the oil filter to a Donaldson ELF7349 and you're set,.. throw in a Napa 4" pleated air filter,.. If I am going to buy this I would like to know if it's a standard or auto,..

I've got 200,000km on my truck and it had the updated 08'5 steering system put in, as well as whole front end work done at 160,000km,..

Oh what is the price that we are negotiating on :)

Last edited:

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Upgrade the steering system, do the carli balljoints, put a 2 micron fuel filter setup on it and keep the valve lash at spec and that truck will last you a long, long time. I miss my 04' to be honest. Should've kept it and pumped 10k into it instead of buying new...

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Take the vehicle in for a prepurchase inspection somewhere(especially checking the front steering/suspension components)....... I wouldn't do anything to it..... Just drive it and enjoy. Great trucks and very trouble free.

sled_wrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like summit said get it looked at and then drive it and enjoy .... but if you do feel the need to get the front end done i did mine at a cost of 3g at the dealership but have since found out there is an aftermarket ... cant remember what it is but i remember it was suppose to be better and a little cheaper

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the auto Trans in them suck.

Wished the 5.9 could of had the 6 speed auto in 07.

That would be a killer truck.

Only other thing in 06 is the heater mode door.

Plastic shaft and is a 900 bill to fix ( hole days labor and the hole dash has to come off. )

sent from my HTC while working

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
the auto Trans in them suck.

Wished the 5.9 could of had the 6 speed auto in 07.

That would be a killer truck.

Only other thing in 06 is the heater mode door.

Plastic shaft and is a 900 bill to fix ( hole days labor and the hole dash has to come off. )

Wtf u talkin bout Tex?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What part can't ya understand ?/

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Yes the trannys are junk. Especially if you chip the truck. Mines stock and at 102,000 ish kms the band in the tranny **** the bed ... I got lucky. Performance tranny here through a reputiable shop was going to coast $6000 but I'd never have any issuses after that. I've had the breather freeze off and puke out oil when it thaws out (1/2 L) but that's hit and miss with fluctuating outside temps in the winter. They've upgraded the air filter so it can breath now. The stock one in '06 would suck the airbox in under heavey pull, 15lbs + vacum will suck **** in everywhere. Just had to check it more often is all. Some were dusting motors due to aftermarket intakes. Many factors come into play here as you probably well know. I ordered mine after owning a 1/2 ton with a Hemi, just out grew that '04. I have 108,000 ish km on it now and it's been an awsome truck. I've done the front u-joints and brakes with the regular maintenence done of course. It's got just over 3600 hours on the engine (I believe in warm up time) and it's starting to break in. 3:73 gearing it pulls 22,000lbs with out issue in tow/haul mode. 13-14 mpg loaded and I've been as high as 26 mt with a dash of Lucas conditioner now and again. Just wish they had a true jake break out there and not this exhaust crap. Other than that it's been the best truck I've ever owned and might just be the last in a diesel. As fas as price it's hard to say. The motors are good when treated with respect and will outlive the rest of the truck. That is what helps keep a respectible value on the unit.

Attachments

• IMG_3210.jpg
    IMG_3210.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3971.jpg
    IMG_3971.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 140

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heater mode door? Something about a plastic shaft?

The flapper door in the heater box that changes vent, floor, defrost ,

Door and shaft are plastic.

They break off and it stuck on one of the three modes.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
the flapper door in the heater box that changes vent, floor, defrost ,

door and shaft are plastic.

They break off and it stuck on one of the three modes.

Sent from my htc while working

very few, out of the thousands of trucks out there......chances are it will never happen to anyone, but there is a slight chance

Top Bottom