2005 Summit Overheating Issue

Snow Bunny

Reaction score
Woo hoo it's almost that time of year again. Time to figure out an issue from last year though. My 2005 summit 600 sdi will overheat on me down the the trail in the first five minutes of riding and the motor will limit my revs. If I shut it down let it sit for a bit then drive the piss out of it, I no longer have any overheating issues for the rest of the day. We rebulit the top end last fall before this happened. We replaced the thermostat after this started happening and no fix to the issue. I rode the sled for two trips in the mountains with this problem last year. Why is it that it only overheats for this short amount of time in the beginning but not for the rest of the day. Any ideas anyone?

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the trail is the worst for overheating, ice scratchers help somewhat. Prestone Extreme Sport antifreeze does to....love that stuff.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well placed ice scratchers on trail at all times. Also after a rebuild and a couple rides check your coolant again. You will probably be able to add another 500ml again. Scratchers will keep your slides lubed and create that extra snow for cooling.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

daniel.h

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Yea to me sounds like something to do with the coolant pump but that is just a guess maybe a air pocket developed in the pump but I am not a mechanic . Just throwing out ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your going to laugh at me for suggesting this but I fixed a sled that had this heating issue wouldn't do it all the time at first but eventually it did.
Someone had rebuilt the motor and dropped a couple wrist pin needles into the coolant passage.
I spent a great deal of time to figure out why it would overheat as at idle it pumped coolant but not revved up. Finally pulled cover and found the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was gonna say sticky t-stat, but it's unlikely it would happen again.. but stranger things have happened.

Snow Bunny

Reaction score
I do have ice scratchers but I wasn't using them at the time. Something worth trying. Checked the coolant and it is full. Hubby was thinking possible pump issue but why would it only be a problem at the beginning of the day and not throughout the rest of the day. .The thermostat is brand new, could they have sold me a faulty one. Although there was no difference in the overheating problem from the old thermostat to the new one either. Dear god I hope it isnt the wrist pin issue, don't think my husband would be too pleased with that. Is there some kind of temp sensor that might be crappin out that might cause this issue?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the coolant temp sensor by ohming it out. Had one go bad on my old 1000 sdi. Also start the sled and get the nose way in the air, drive it partway up a sled deck ramp or something and let it idle for quite awhile. Then check the coolant level to see if you got an air bubble out.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the coolant temp sensor by ohming it out. Had one go bad on my old 1000 sdi. Also start the sled and get the nose way in the air, drive it partway up a sled deck ramp or something and let it idle for quite awhile. Then check the coolant level to see if you got an air bubble out.
This^^^
I butchered my T-stat in my '04 800 and put in the orfice to run without a t-stat to avoid burning it down like many did. Sticky T-stat's with no bypass was a problem on these years in all models.
Always run with your scratchers down on the hard pack.
I doubt it's a pump issue because the problem wouldn't just go away. Sounds to me like you have a blockage either from the t-stat or somewhere else that reving it up seems to clear till it cools off again or a faulty sensor. Maybe you need a second gauge to rule out an overheating issue so you can focus on the electrical side?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess one question bunny

Does it boil over or just say over heat

Snow Bunny

Reaction score
Bnorth do you know where the temp sensor is? We have done the drive the sled part way up the sled deck thing and let her idle and coolant level didn't change.

LBZ and Tex 78 so you are basically saying to run the sled without the t stat in, and see if my problem goes away. Didn't think you could do that. Was it just a problem with the 800's, mine is a 600 sdi (fuel injected). Is there any risk to doing this.

Tex 78 no it has never boiled over, just flashing and beeping light and then the motor limits the revs.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just have to let it warm up before u go, if that fixes it then yes put the resticker in the outlet hose

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bnorth do you know where the temp sensor is? We have done the drive the sled part way up the sled deck thing and let her idle and coolant level didn't change.

LBZ and Tex 78 so you are basically saying to run the sled without the t stat in, and see if my problem goes away. Didn't think you could do that. Was it just a problem with the 800's, mine is a 600 sdi (fuel injected). Is there any risk to doing this.

Tex 78 no it has never boiled over, just flashing and beeping light and then the motor limits the revs.
It's #66 in the picture on the 'cylinder and cylinder head' microfiche. It's in the back of the head on the mag side right beside the t-stat.
http://parts.ski-doo.com/Index.aspx?s1=mmrq6ndecmm4jlk92bct7sack0&catalog_id=1&siteid=1

Edit: and your sled will be an 06 not an 05.

Snow Bunny

Reaction score
Oh dammit, my bad you are right Bnorth. Just checked my papers. Never seem to remember that.

Tex what is the resticker?

Thanks for all the help, I will give this stuff a try and hope for progress.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh dammit, my bad you are right Bnorth. Just checked my papers. Never seem to remember that.

Tex what is the resticker?

Thanks for all the help, I will give this stuff a try and hope for progress.
He means restrictor, he's still practicing his english and typing skills lol. When you delete the t-stat there is a choke you put in the outlet hose, can't remember where you get it from though.

Snow Bunny

Reaction score

By chance do you know what the ohmic value should be?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do have ice scratchers but I wasn't using them at the time. Something worth trying. Checked the coolant and it is full. Hubby was thinking possible pump issue but why would it only be a problem at the beginning of the day and not throughout the rest of the day. .The thermostat is brand new, could they have sold me a faulty one. Although there was no difference in the overheating problem from the old thermostat to the new one either. Dear god I hope it isnt the wrist pin issue, don't think my husband would be too pleased with that. Is there some kind of temp sensor that might be crappin out that might cause this issue?
If you were on the trail and didn't have the scratchers down I think this might be your problem. a bubble or other kind of issue like a pump or faulty t stat should present itself more than just on the trail, it would do it all the time. I would still double check the coolant for any air pockets (as others have said park it on an incline with the front as high as it will go) but try riding with the scratchers down and see what happens first. Doubtful that the dealer sold you a faulty t stat but if the problem persists the t-stat can be checked easily.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting off the trail and in the snow for a couple of seconds would indeed confirm what modman is saying which I believe to be right. Get a jug of that xtreme antifreeze and a 3 dollar princessauto sucker hose.

Top Bottom