2005 summit highmark 1000

wesley

Reaction score
Hi guys I just joind the group here and I see alot of good info for setting up my sled. I just bought a 2005 summit highmark 1000. This weekend was my first ride on the sled and it overheated about a dozen times. Each time the warning beeper would come on I would pull over, open the two side doors and the hood,pack snow on the mid cooler and wait about 5-10 minuts and ride it again. The dealer that I got it from disconected the front cooler because it was leaking and said that these sleds run to cool with all three hooked up. I was riding in wet snow and I dont think alot of snow was hiting the tunnel as I was going thew trails at low speeds. I don't know if I should get a new front cooler and disconect the back one ,run all three or just get some scratchers. Do scratchers work well ? what should the temp be at for normall opperating. I'm thinking of putting on an aftermarket muffler (a can ?)
and maby do something with the intake. Both to lighten up the sled but I don't want to compramise reliability and risk running it lean or mess with the adaptive controll of the computer. If anyone has any pros and cons to these mods I would apreseat it.

Thanks. Wes

I'vegotthenutz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The front coolers are prone to cracking, normally guys delete the rear cooler. Scratchers would definately help.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Front cooler is a big job to replace. RT Ryder and I are both running RTs and his front cooler on his 05 also cracked. We bypassed it and ran the middle cooler and the rear cooler with no heating issues this season so far. Sounds like your cooling system has air in it and is causing your heating issues to me. I would put on the can (18 pound weight loss depending which one). Scratchers work well. Run the 07 mid alt mapping seems to work the best.
Put in a thermostat and the sled will run between 105 to 110 degrees fahrenheit in powder which keeps the sled out of a limp mode (rich condition). Couple ways do go about it either install an external T stat off an Xp or machine your head with a die grinder and install a normal T stat, takes a beer and a couple hours to do it that way but if you run twin pipes the Xp T stat will not work due to there not being enough room to clear the extra coolant lines. Im running pods on my sled and they work well, stops lots of belt dust from going into engine. Not sure if they would have runability issues without running a fuel control box, I changed alot of stuff on mine all at one time. Some guys are running the stock air box and putting filters in it. Thermostat and filters are a must on these sleds to insure life out of the engines. Also could have a can forsale and parts to eliminate the outer air box.

Matt

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
You need scratchers........ Mine was running hot, just going up the trail to boulder, and had to put down the scratchers and then travel at a littlefaster..... Was okay then.........

Definately add scratchers and then monitor the lite.
I'm putting a koso temp guage on, so i can tell exact engine temperature, otherwise, only time it overheats is on trails at slower speeds.......

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine is the same. Overheats on the trails unless keep the speeds up and stay out of the mid range RPM's. I know this isnt the best for the trails but after she warms up it is either pinned to the bar or off till I get up to the cabin. I am only running the one middle cooler though as the front is cracked and the rear is removed. Never had a problem once I hit the alpine.

Then again you dont buy this type of sled for trail riding.

wesley

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips guys. I bought scratchers today and will try it out on the weekend. I was teaching my girlfriend how to ride so I was going pretty slow most of the day so I think I didn't throw mutch snow up at the cooler. I did however pin it on the way home to see what could do and it didn't disapoint me. It didn't overheat at that time, so I don't think it has a airlock but I could be wrong. sleds got some get up and go! Do the sleds have a thermostat already ? would like to know more about a differen't airfilter set up Mat, also how mutch for your can and what brand is it ? I do have a snow flap on my sled Modman.The dealer I got the sled from said It had all the resent updates in it so I assume it has the new mapping.

Wes

Metalfusion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips guys. I bought scratchers today and will try it out on the weekend. I was teaching my girlfriend how to ride so I was going pretty slow most of the day so I think I didn't throw mutch snow up at the cooler. I did however pin it on the way home to see what could do and it didn't disapoint me. It didn't overheat at that time, so I don't think it has a airlock but I could be wrong. sleds got some get up and go! Do the sleds have a thermostat already ? would like to know more about a differen't airfilter set up Mat, also how mutch for your can and what brand is it ? I do have a snow flap on my sled Modman.The dealer I got the sled from said It had all the resent updates in it so I assume it has the new mapping.

Wes

Same thing as mine. If I run it hard it wont overheat, but it would be nice to put the controls in place so that you dont have to push it hard to prevent the overheating.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didnt realize you had the sled out for the day. Thought it was just a quick rip in the field, it will not be airlocked. The sleds do not come with a T stat stock, they should have. Its a Tss can, Its fairly loud but sounds good in my opinion. I ll have to hunt down some pics for you on the air box. With out running a fuel controller i would put some small filters inside the factory airbox to stop belt dust and then run the intake kit that specialty sleds sells to delete the outer airbox to save some weight. I think I have seen pics of the airfilters in the stock airbox on dootalk. I run filters on the throttle bodies like timber sled sells because they flow more air for the bigbore I have, But think if you are not running a fuel controller they will cause bog issues. I think Summitric on here has the Timbersled setup on his single piped RT, but not sure if he had to run a fuelcontroller on his to make them work properly, maybe he will chime in.

damtrees

Reaction score
I jest put the pods with home made pre filters right on the throttl bodys and it seemed to run good at least all i was looking for was to keep the belt dust out it only cost me about 30$ total and not that long to do at all new skis will be a big help

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didnt realize you had the sled out for the day. Thought it was just a quick rip in the field, it will not be airlocked. The sleds do not come with a T stat stock, they should have. .

You can put a t-stat in these sleds. Plumbs right in to the system using the 800 t-stat.

wesley

Reaction score
What Is the purpose to puting in a thermostat? Is it to get it up to temp quicker? If it was already overheating I would think puting anything to restrict flow wouldn't be a good idea.Also how does the belt dust get in? The intake sucks from the outside cover and seals from the outer airbox to the innner.Why are you selling your can ? can i just install one without any mods for the engine control ? will it have enouh back pressure? Are ya tired of all the Questions yet? Carefull how ya answer because I'm sure I have a ton more .
Wes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thermostat because these sleds are prone to running to cold in deep powder causing rich conditions, and they will help lesson the chance of cold seizures, like when your driving down the trail and the engine is warmer in tempature and you jump off into the pow the thermostat will help regulate the added cold coolant coming to the engine. If your having heating issues install the rear cooler and run the thermostat, added cooling when needed and the engine will still run at proper temp when in powder. The belt dust gets sucked in because the inside airbox and the airbox on the side panel do not seal properly where they connect. If you do not beleave me ride your sled for 500 km and then pull your reeds and have a look, youll be disgusted at how much belt dust will be on them as there no fuel that goes through them to wash them clean with the SDI. Im not running the can because Im running an 1100 bikeman kit with twin pipes and stingers. Have had the can sitting on a shelf for the last three seasons. It should have proper back pressure, worked for me, not sure how much packing is left in it as it has about 2500-3000 km on it. Acctually for got I had it till the other day I seen it lol. You do not have to do anything to the fuel to run a can on the sled.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thermostat because these sleds are prone to running to cold in deep powder causing rich conditions, and they will help lesson the chance of cold seizures, like when your driving down the trail and the engine is warmer in tempature and you jump off into the pow the thermostat will help regulate the added cold coolant coming to the engine. If your having heating issues install the rear cooler and run the thermostat, added cooling when needed and the engine will still run at proper temp when in powder.

Yep, what 1100 said. Add some cooling back to the system and then use the t-stat to maintain consistent motor temp. In addition to the ^^ above, the t-stat will help prevent the motor from cold shock wear and tear and also cold seizures. cold shock is where the motor fluctuates big temp changes from really hot to really cold all of a sudden. Cold seizure is when the motor stops running because of cold shock.

What happens is the motor gets really hot from lack of cooling on the heat exchanger (i.e. no snow on the cooler - like say when you are running up the hardpack trail or going really slow) and then you jump off into the powder and the cooler gets a big blast of cold snow, and a big slug of cold coolant then goes straight into the motor at full throttle. The cold coolant shrinks the cylinders faster than the hot pistons and what you get is scored cylinders.

A t-stat helps regulate this cold flow of water to the motor. IMO its always better to have more than enough cooling and let the t-stat regulate the flow of cold water coming into the motor, than to not have a t-stat and be risking cold seizure.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for explaining it better Modman, with my sweet typing skills that would of took me 15 minutes lol.

rolling54727

Reaction score
so where do we get the t stat at? does the local dealer have them? and what temp do i get? sorry for the dump questions. just tring to learn everything i can about these. blew mine up twice this year and sick of it.

crowdoo

Reaction score
im no expert but u should be very careful at overheating ur rt 1000 i think if u keep this up she go boom .i had an 05 and got rid of it at 1500km was on 3rd motor.05 was very bad yr in my opinion (first yr).i ran scratchers all the time.again my opinion but dont think the mapping was ever right.good luck .ps i got a rear cooler in shop if u need it

Top Bottom