2004 Kingcat spark problems

selfmoto

Reaction score
Goood evening everyone, great forums. I been searching for some answers on the issues I am having with my 2004 900 Kingcat, carburated. It runs great up until it is really warm and the spark is sporadic, it will die at high rpms than re-start itself from the momentum.

Carbs are freshly cleaned and with a 410 main jet. I am at 2400 ft elevation.
New Spark Plugs are showing light tan burn.

Once everything cools it will fire first pull and run good until hot. I have been told the igntion timing sensor is weak on these, or coil, or magneto or ECU. Any suggestions would be greatly approciated. I did search the forum with not too much luck !

Cheers !

Thanks All !

Kevin

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Goood evening everyone, great forums. I been searching for some answers on the issues I am having with my 2004 900 Kingcat, carburated. It runs great up until it is really warm and the spark is sporadic, it will die at high rpms than re-start itself from the momentum.

Carbs are freshly cleaned and with a 410 main jet. I am at 2400 ft elevation.
New Spark Plugs are showing light tan burn.

Once everything cools it will fire first pull and run good until hot. I have been told the igntion timing sensor is weak on these, or coil, or magneto or ECU. Any suggestions would be greatly approciated. I did search the forum with not too much luck !

Cheers !

Thanks All !

Kevin

unplug your kill switch, they have been known to cause this issues

selfmoto

Reaction score
Good day all, thnaks for reply. I actually bought an entire new kill switch, hi / lo throttle assembly and it didn't change anything. So since my last post I replaced the stator and ignition timing sensor. It runs much better but still same problem, runs for half hour to 45 minutes and than gets hot and dies with no spark until it cools off. I checked the entire wiring harness and had coil tested at dealer all good. Only thing left to replace is the CDI box. Is there anyone out there that has heard of or no anyone that has a similiar problem?? I am at the point where I am going to just sell it......hate to do it but have spent more time in garage and broke down than riding !

Thanks All !

Kevin

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have not run into this, but I have heard that the ground wire by the recoil can give some problems. Are you shutting off the carb heater line when it's warm. The carbs could be getting too hot and affecting the gas.

Last edited:

selfmoto

Reaction score
Hey there, yes I checked the ground, looks good. I am going to replace coil, I found a local salvage guy that has lots of AC parts, I will know tonight.... Thanks :)

CamoKVF700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There has to be someone close that would lend you their CDI for a day.

I've never had the issue with a sled like yours but it sounds like you're on the right track.

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
change the stator, this will not be a coil. seen this on many sleds,atv's, bikes. the coils break down under heat and you will loose spark. once cold it will run great till its hot again.
if you look online or in good manual they will give the test procedures and wire colors to test with ohm meter. check them when sled is cold then go ride it and bring your meter with you and once it dies test the same wires again. you will see your issue.

tnt-salvage

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im sorry i just re-read this post. you have already changed the stator. i guess its possible to have bought a stator with the same issue? usually a cdi will work or not work. just for fun i would do the test i mentioned above on the stator just for fun before buying a cdi box. could save you some money.

Top Bottom