2004.5 sportsman 500 issues.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys im having some issues with my sportsman. It will start up but then it wont idle right. it seems to shoot rpms up and if you blip the throttle the rpms hang and it just kinda revs for a while and slowly winds down.
Ive tried adjusting the ETC with no luck. although I'm not 100 percent sure that i did this properly.

Now i dont ride this quad very often at all and Ive tried draining all the fuel and cleaned the carb many times with no luck.

1.i replaced the throttle cable a while back - could they have given me the wrong one?

2. I replaced the needle and seat recently also. I dont have and issue with any fuel leaking out of the bowl.

3. A long time ago i replaced the head gasket and the camshaft with a new stocker.

4. I haven't had the clutches serviced in quite a while to be honest.

5. The quad backfires a lil bit if you rev it up high and let off in neutral..

Any ideas to what my issue could be?

Last edited:

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
possibly could have put the carb back together wrong. another thing to check is that your air filter is clean. also check your throttle body and clean it.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmm ive cleaned it many times. Perhaps i may have put it back together wrong. Im pretty good with these carbs.

I also replaced the ETC throttle block and the throttle cable. Would it be possible that i may have gotten the wrong cable or throttle block for lets say a 400 if theres ever a difference.

Also whats the "proper" routing for the throttle and choke cable?

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure on proper routing. throttle cable and etc box are the same for a lot of different models so it is very unlikely you got the wrong one. you can check to see if your throttle cable needs adjusting. another thing you could try change is the fuel filter. the one on that bike is really small so it could get clogged easy. plus its only like 4 bucks for a new one.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure on proper routing. throttle cable and etc box are the same for a lot of different models so it is very unlikely you got the wrong one. you can check to see if your throttle cable needs adjusting. another thing you could try change is the fuel filter. the one on that bike is really small so it could get clogged easy. plus its only like 4 bucks for a new one.

I will definetly try the fuel filter. sorry to ask so many questions but is there a special procedure for the throttle cable adjustment in relation to the ETC control?

Last edited:

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also should have mentioned. ive tried adjusting the carb so it can be a the proper idle but it always seems to either slowly creep up in idle or just die all together..

what is the proper idle rpm for these machines? sorry about seeming so clueless but i do know a how to rebuild a motor quite easily its just for some reason 4 stroke carbs always get me! Im great with my dirtbikes carb but not this dang sportsman.:d

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
proper idle it right about 1100-1300 rpm. if you pop the cover off the etc box you will see two small contacts that look like a blob of solder. you should adjust the cable so that they are about the thickness of a poppsicle stick apart.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
proper idle it right about 1100-1300 rpm. if you pop the cover off the etc box you will see two small contacts that look like a blob of solder. you should adjust the cable so that they are about the thickness of a poppsicle stick apart.

Awesome. thank you! I'll give it a shot and let you know what comes of it.

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the carb to head adapter (rubber boot deal). They have a habit of drying up and cracking causing an air leak.

Top Bottom