2004 400 outlander issue please help

DELOW

Reaction score
I have 04 400 outlander and when you first get on it it runs like a dream quick and lots of power for a 400. But almost exactly at 5km it quits then when it fires back up it spits and sputters and lurches forward and dies. You have to have the choke on half for it to even idel at this point. If you shut the choke off it quits. We took the carb off and it was very clean no clogs we cleaned it up and blew some air threw it. What next?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 04 400 outlander and when you first get on it it runs like a dream quick and lots of power for a 400. But almost exactly at 5km it quits then when it fires back up it spits and sputters and lurches forward and dies. You have to have the choke on half for it to even idel at this point. If you shut the choke off it quits. We took the carb off and it was very clean no clogs we cleaned it up and blew some air threw it. What next?
mine ('04 400 XT) has been doing this for the last 3 years, the last 2 things I've yet to change are the stator and VSS (vehicle speed sensor). I've been thru everything else, carb, fuel pump, changed all lines, cleaned out the fuel tank, filters, carb boot, voltage regulator, coil, plug wire, plug, checked and reset valve clearance. I'm ready to burn the fawking thing.

DELOW

Reaction score
Have u tried setting the valves. I have read a few people with this kind of problem and that seemed to fix them up. But they also talk about fuel pump. But it seems to be more of an issue when it warms up. It feels like a fuel issue. But maybe it is electrical.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have u tried setting the valves. I have read a few people with this kind of problem and that seemed to fix them up. But they also talk about fuel pump. But it seems to be more of an issue when it warms up. It feels like a fuel issue. But maybe it is electrical.
yeah, I set the valves. and changed the fuel pump. had another running '04 400 and swapped every part possible. I have a salvage 400 engine that has a good stator and VSS, those are the last 2 things to try. then fire

DELOW

Reaction score
I found this on another forum. I put 20km and no probs hope it fixed my problem.

I have a 2004 Bombardier Outlander Max.
After many frustrating hours the problem with the engine stalling like it ran out of fuel and then restarting after a while is solved.
I did everything from check the fuel lines, filters, fuel pump multiple jet cleaning etc. Nothing Worked!
To Fix The Problem:
Pull the float off the carb, loosen and remove the screw that holds on the floats, remove float. Then remove the second screw "right next to the screw you just removed" that holds down the barrel. Remove barrel, and at the bottom of the barrel is a screen. Now look at all the crud that falls out!
Clean the screen and the crap collection area. Your ready to roll!

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well blow me dry and call me dusty. after I read your post last night I went right out and pulled the carb off my 400. tore it down and pulled the floats, needle valve and seat, and sure enough, there was a little metal screen filter on the top of the tube seat and it was pretty much plugged off with some kind of black sludgy crap. put 'er all back together and fired it up and it ran sitting for 30 minutes or so. took it out this morning and rode it for an hour around home here and it didn't quit on me.....maybe that was it!! thanks for the post man, I been struggling with this thing for a long time trying to figure this out. I've had many carbs apart and have never come across a filter in that location. live and learn....:beer:

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
seems like a strange place for a filter, but I guess its the "last line of defence" to keep crap out of the cylinders.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
seems like a strange place for a filter, but I guess its the "last line of defence" to keep crap out of the cylinders.
yeah man, seen little stone like filters outside the carb at the fuel inlet or inline filters, as well as filters inside the fuel tank at the pickup....but never in that location inside the carb. I'm just happy I didn't have to do the fire thing...lol

DELOW

Reaction score
Ya i was shock that it was that simple. I hope to take mine for a real good ride and hope that was it. I didn't believe that was all that was the matter thankful for the Internet and forums like this one.have a good one

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So dealer mechs don't know about this filter? Or nobody asked them?
oh I asked, after I tried each thing I kept asking the mech what it could be, no one suggested that particular filter might be the problem. got everything from "check valve clearance" to "bring it in, we'll figure it out..." yeah, right....

Top Bottom