2004-2007 summit

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
o...do the 2008 have efi?...and is it a bad thing that they dont have efi? or are carbs just as good?

Motogp

Reaction score
Well I have an 07 and it has DPM (I think all the revs do?). Digital Performance Management, which handles any issues as far as elevation is concerned. If you are worried about jetting, with DPM you don't have to worry.

Motogp

Reaction score
There could be a better reason that I don't know of...

I think the big difference is that EFI is more efficient. It's electronic where as with a carb it's just a float valve and a pressure differential.

EFI is more complicated, I assume it would weigh abit more because there are more parts...

So I guess it's how you look at it, if you are worried about absolute best fuel efficiency then EFI would be advantageous. Plus if you got an old carb'd sled without DPM you would have to jet where as with EFI you don't.

I assume you are up in the air about going 2 or 4 stroke?

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hah ya well i was looking at the new nytro mtx or w.e as well...but i think i like to good old ski-doo:)

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EFI on a two stroke is very tuff to do (has to do with the time it takes to atomize the fuel and it's too fast on a 2 stroke). Ski-Doo has had very good luck with the DPM controlled carbs - so they stick with it. One problem with EFI although it may be more efficent fuel wise, it's worse for emissions. Ski-doo has been very strong getting their fleet to a very tight stance emissions wise and I think the EFI sets this effort back. I don't think they offer more EFI models cause it would affect the fleet rating, but they always have "one" offer.

In the end, as a user, DPM works very well. They only CDI version of sled is the 600CDI, it runs well also.

Motogp

Reaction score
My friend bought a Nytro last year and loves it. It's a pretty weird sled from what I am used to. Also I am a skinny guy so that extra bit of weight the 4 strokes have is really noticeable to me. To him it's not though because he weighs abit more.

The best thing about the 4stroke Yami's, is the rear exhuast. We warm our hands up with it all the time. Nice warm clean exhuast =)

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
EFI on a two stroke is very tuff to do (has to do with the time it takes to atomize the fuel and it's too fast on a 2 stroke). Ski-Doo has had very good luck with the DPM controlled carbs - so they stick with it. One problem with EFI although it may be more efficent fuel wise, it's worse for emissions. Ski-doo has been very strong getting their fleet to a very tight stance emissions wise and I think the EFI sets this effort back. I don't think they offer more EFI models cause it would affect the fleet rating, but they always have "one" offer.

In the end, as a user, DPM works very well. They only CDI version of sled is the 600CDI, it runs well also.
SDI not CDI (semi-direct injection)and the 1000 is SDI as well I believe

sledobsessed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thank-you i dont imagine that the fuel econmy would differ that much...its not a big deal to me anyways

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hah ya well i was looking at the new nytro mtx or w.e as well...but i think i like to good old ski-doo:)

buy the DOO!
enjoy the sweet smell of 2-stroke while ya can, because in another 5 years none of us will ever smell that oh so so sweet smell again. why does the enviroment get in the way of all our fun!

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
06 and newer Doo 800s have powertech, which is basically an advanced engine management system. They get very good mileage and are dependable. The only thing that the injected sleds have is a lighter throttle pull for the ladies.

Top Bottom