2002 summit 700 bog

burnmaxx

Reaction score
Glad I found this forum and hope someone can help me out. I'm a newbie so bear with me!

I purchased this sled a couple of weeks ago and have been fixing a few issues I found. I was able to get the service manual for the sled and the other day I set the air mixture screw to what the manual said, 1 1/2 turns out. The sled now bogs quite badly anywhere from 4000-5500 rpm. It wasn't this bad before would I need to turn screw in or out to try and fix this? I'm scared of having it too lean and hurting the motor.

Also there just isn't the same snap on the low end as my brothers 2000 summit 700. A noticeable difference in bottom end. His throttle is more responsive and it really gets up and goes. Mine doesn't have the same snap and feels a little boggy for 1/2 second when I punch it. I have done a compression test and it's ok both cylinders about 115 on mine (more than his sled).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those screws adjust fuel flow at idle more than anything. If i remember correctly backing the crews out further will make it a richer mixture. If it's to rich and loading up it won't be as snappy out of the hole. When she bogs try hitting the choke a little bit to see if improves or gets worse. That will let ya know if youre more on the mean side of things or not. Check and makes sure the right needles are in the carbs and that they are straight. Could also check both main and pilot jets to make sure they are clean an no obstructions in them.

Another thing to check/replace would clutch springs and give the clutches a good cleaning.

Sent from my Shoe Phone

Last edited:

meatbag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beach Corner-Just follow the tracks from the liquo
It could be your clutches, your carbs or a chipped intake reed. The air screw or fuel screw only adjusts for up to 1/4 throttle, then the needle takes over to 3/4, then just the main jet. Make sure your secondary clutch is working properly. It's a start.

burnmaxx

Reaction score
So when it bogs and I put the choke on it seems to go away. Does this mean it's running too rich?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it's lean on the bottom end turn the pilot air screws IN to correct it. They control air, not fuel. Fuel is controlled by the size of the pilot jet. If the problem's in the mid range though you need to raise your slide needle to richen it up. That one does control fuel flow.

prairie-rider800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like mentioned earlier it could be the clutching as well. Lots of times if the clutches are sticking or not shifting properly it will hesitate when you hit the throttle and feel like the engine is bogging.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If it feels like the sled is under load/pulling hard for a continued time it is probably the clutching with the most common problem for it hanging up at a certain RPM being a worn ramp.
If it is a bog and then a lurch forward when it revs up you have a dirty/gummed carb. Just pulled my 2001 summit 700 carbs off and they were full of sluge and shelack from the fuel drying out over the years and it can happe to any sled as this one only had 560Km. It now runs as a new 700 should. Use stabilizer in the fuel every year for long term storage.

Good luck and post what the issue was once fixed.

Top Bottom