2002 Polaris 500 HO Heating Up

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
true that its a low rad.. but i don't think its nearly a large enough deal that requires replacing the atv.

its 6 bolts and you can see the entire rad .. wash it out really well after every say 10th ride and then just make sure to spray it after every ride to keep it somewhat clean between the larger cleanings.

it took us 5 min to take the grill off and wash it out the last time i did it on my sisters.. 5 min to clean it and 5 min to bolt it back on..

so for 15 min of your time its cleaned completely every 10th or so ride.. it takes along time to completely plug a rad as well unless you push to the headlights though peanut butter mud and then you should clean the rad of any atv you own at that point..

Thats great if you have access to water and stuff but what do you do when your out for a weekend and there are no hoses etc. Or you hit a muddy trail and start to overheat 5min. into the days ride ... you gonna pull it apart on the trail everytime? Are you going to be the one that makes the whole group wait? Been on those kind of rides and its a downer! Just sayin .... :beer::(

Last edited:

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
So my neighbor has the identical machine and here boyfriend came up with an interesting fix. He took a crazy carpet and basically cut it to fit behind the shock and stuff on each wheel well and so far after 6 mths here she has not had any overheating problems. He fastened it with zip ties btw. :beer::d
Her winch and everything is still in the same spot and the only thing she does now is concentrate on the rad when she cleans it after a ride!

FyreRyder

Reaction score
my buddies sportsman 500 keeps blowing the water pump seal. Last time we had to add 1.5 liters of water to the rad to limp it back to camp...

Top Bottom