2001 RMK 800 troubles

deagle3739

Reaction score
So just noticed this today, went out for a ride and had what almost seemed to be a burtn belt but it looked fine, adjusted the secondary a little, seemd to help a bit, it is almost as though it is missing at high rpm, but only sometimes, will do it for a while then quit for a bit? There is also a pretty good squeaking noise comming from the clutch side of the engine, not sure what that coule be but I am guessing it is related as they both happened same time, any ideas? Figured I would start with a new belt, but just bought this one not 3 tanks ago!!! could be shot I guess, but still looks fine, and the squeak leads me to believe a problem with the secondary but not sure, don;t know a whole lot about this sled.

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So just noticed this today, went out for a ride and had what almost seemed to be a burtn belt but it looked fine, adjusted the secondary a little, seemd to help a bit, it is almost as though it is missing at high rpm, but only sometimes, will do it for a while then quit for a bit? There is also a pretty good squeaking noise comming from the clutch side of the engine, not sure what that coule be but I am guessing it is related as they both happened same time, any ideas? Figured I would start with a new belt, but just bought this one not 3 tanks ago!!! could be shot I guess, but still looks fine, and the squeak leads me to believe a problem with the secondary but not sure, don;t know a whole lot about this sled.

My 01 has the same thing wen it does give it some gas and goes away then it may come back. i did the belt thing and did nothing to let u know. who knows what it is but the sled still runs.

deagle3739

Reaction score
Is the squeak at idle or only when the sled is moving?

Just at an idle. The squeak does not concern me quite as much as the lag on the high end, almost like it is not shifting, when you pop the belt off you can wind it up and runs great, thinking maybe I will pop off the secondary soon and clean it up good and play with the settings on it a little, but kinda stumped

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just at an idle. The squeak does not concern me quite as much as the lag on the high end, almost like it is not shifting, when you pop the belt off you can wind it up and runs great, thinking maybe I will pop off the secondary soon and clean it up good and play with the settings on it a little, but kinda stumped

I think there is some oil or some thing on then so mabey if clean then then a new belt and good to go.

deagle3739

Reaction score
I think there is some oil or some thing on then so mabey if clean then then a new belt and good to go.

Yeah I am thinking something simple like that, I will take it apart when I get back home in a few days and clean it out a throw a new belt on to be sure. Will post how it turns out

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the sled is "new to you", have you checked the crank run out. These machines are famous for there weak cases, there for causing crank failures on the pto end.

If you have a high crank run out measure ment , its time to do the bottom end, as the crank is "cocking " to one side, stretching the cases, and mis-aligning the clutches

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the sled is "new to you", have you checked the crank run out. These machines are famous for there weak cases, there for causing crank failures on the pto end.

If you have a high crank run out measure ment , its time to do the bottom end, as the crank is "cocking " to one side, stretching the cases, and mis-aligning the clutches

How do you know if you have this prob?

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you know if you have this prob?

You need to check the "run-out" on your crank. This is achieved by removing your clutch and using a dial guage. As you turn your engine over by hand slowly, you are watching to see if your crank is out of "true" (slight side to side movement). The acceptable margine for movement is no more than 0.004 or 0.005 if I remember right, a very very tight margine !!!

greatwhite

Reaction score
I had a similar smell, not to say that it isn't one of the above listed problems. I did some investigating under the hood and found one of my sparkplugs had unthreaded itself somehow almost all the way out. Just something else to add to your list. Good luck! Also i just bought a fabcraft chromoly steering post, and a slp engine plate for my 01 rmk 800. I haven't put them in yet but will be doing this soon and hope to post some progressive pics throughout the job.

deagle3739

Reaction score
I had a similar smell, not to say that it isn't one of the above listed problems. I did some investigating under the hood and found one of my sparkplugs had unthreaded itself somehow almost all the way out. Just something else to add to your list. Good luck! Also i just bought a fabcraft chromoly steering post, and a slp engine plate for my 01 rmk 800. I haven't put them in yet but will be doing this soon and hope to post some progressive pics throughout the job.

Yeah I just swapped plugs and took i for a quick burn, seemed to be better, but won;t know until I go riding this weekend!

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So your belt only squeaks at idle would mean that the belt deflection is probably to tight. You need to check your belt deflection. it been awhile but i think it should 1.25 " deflection.

Top Bottom