2001 Dodge ram No-Start

Hicktown

Reaction score
Went to start my truck yesterday after work, glow plugs went out, turned the key. Nothin!
I was thinking the clutch engagement switch, bypassed it, still nothin!
I am thinking either ignition starter switch or a relay or fuse under the hood, haven't had time to check that fuse box yet.
(2001 dodge ram 2500 Cummins, standard)

Anyone else had this happen before?

Thanks in advance for any help!

hippiekiller

Reaction score
I'd start at the switch, and then see if you have voltage drop through the relay on the fender...the dodge starters are known to eat brushes, but you usually get some warning clunks....btw no glow plugs in a cummins;)

Hicktown

Reaction score
My bad, bad habbit of saying "glow plugs" you caught me :s
I will be checking the relay and fuses tonight
When I jumped the starter off the battery it started and ran fine, so its a switch or fuse somewhere I have missed.
I have had starters chit the bed before, they still "click" when you attempt to turn them over. This one makes no click, no current is being allowed to get to it.

I have an Edge Comp Drag box on it but that shouldn't affect any starter components, that I have ever heard of anyway.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
My bad, bad habbit of saying "glow plugs" you caught me :s
I will be checking the relay and fuses tonight
When I jumped the starter off the battery it started and ran fine, so its a switch or fuse somewhere I have missed.
I have had starters chit the bed before, they still "click" when you attempt to turn them over. This one makes no click, no current is being allowed to get to it.

I have an Edge Comp Drag box on it but that shouldn't affect any starter components, that I have ever heard of anyway.

No the EDGE is solid, and does not affect your starter components. Shouldnt be an issue there. I would agree, starter relay, you can 'jump' them to test too...

Hicktown

Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. I was thinking a guy would have to have another relay to pop in there to check it, for resistance reasons.
Thanks for the tip!

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
If it's a standard give a pull start see if it will run that should eliminate a bunch

Hicktown

Reaction score
No the EDGE is solid, and does not affect your starter components. Shouldnt be an issue there. I would agree, starter relay, you can 'jump' them to test too...

If it's a standard give a pull start see if it will run that should eliminate a bunch

I've had er runnin. Everything works fine, all my gauges, power everything is fine. Just engaging the starter that's giving me grief.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 things in that circuit, ignition switch, clutch switch, relay. Clutch switch is the most common. Hold the key on and pump your clutch, sometimes this will loosen it up and make it engage. If it does replace.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simple google search found a tsb for the starter relay fuse blowing. May want to start hear.

Hicktown

Reaction score
3 things in that circuit, ignition switch, clutch switch, relay. Clutch switch is the most common. Hold the key on and pump your clutch, sometimes this will loosen it up and make it engage. If it does replace.
I had jumped the clutch already and that wasn't the issue. I figured it was the starter relay or ignition switch.

Hicktown

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help!
After some trial and error and jumping switches and such I found a bad starter relay. Popped the pare in to get my truck back to civilization. I'll be going to Dodge today to get a couple more spares :)
I also found that the starter fuse has the update, from the 20amp with 18ga wire to 25 amp with the larger wire (I can't remember what they updated to) so that is good to know!

Thanks again all!!!!

Top Bottom