2001 dodge diesel

jeffso

Reaction score
I have a 2001 dodge diesel 2500 when i pull my 33foot 5th wheel it over heats and i have to pull over and let it cool down when i start again it over heats again. Ihave changed the t stat any ideas

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
How is the rad & charge cooler... plugged with debris ? ... I extended my blow by bottle with a tube to keep it from finding it's way to the rad core.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How is the rad & charge cooler... plugged with debris ? ... I extended my blow by bottle with a tube to keep it from finding it's way to the rad core.

+1 common for the rad etc. to be plugged with oily crud. You can't clean it in the truck properly. Pull them out and degrease/clean and extend the puke bottle so it doesn't happen again. Even if it looks clean, pull it so you can look through it to make sure.

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do you hear the fan kick in around 190- 200 degrees? at wide open throttle you can defiantly tell its working. Under normal load they dont usually kick in. Check the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump also, any drip and change it, cheap common part and 2 bolts. But it sounds like a fan hub issue, they are thermatic and if you fresh oil around the hub its also a sign.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could be a few things. Dirty rad, dirty air filter, dirty intercooler or clutch fan not working properly...those are some easy things to check. Check the water pump as mentioned. Check the rad cap to see if it is holding pressure and then pressure test the coolant system. Sometimes the rad cap can come appart and part of it will cause a blockage in the coolant system. Air in the system can cause overheating. Lastly a blown headgasket can also casue overheating.
Hopefully it is one of the cheaper problems! Good luck with your truck!

Top Bottom