2000,rmk800 loss of power

rmk800.tom

Reaction score
I have a2000 rmk 800 and I am having power issues I recently reuilt the top
end of my 800 and on the first test drive i found that while cruising down the trail it seemed to be missing,but when i gave it more throttle it would pick right up.then I came to a mountain and I tied ti high mark Iwould get about 800 yards at full throttle and it would start to sputter and i would have to turn around ,this happened three times and all three time i got to the same heightbut by the time I turned around it would be running better again.
what could it be fuel-there is no visble filter just the sediment tubes and i replaced the jets with jets recommended for the cpi pipes I installed(the spark plugs are a golden brown after the first day of running.please help.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I know what gives, because this happened to me on a mountain trip - same symptoms - check for broken or missing reeds, before you start tearing into your motor. My bet is your reeds!

Just curious - what did it cost you to rebuild the top end - I have an 800 I need to do that too?

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What spark plugs are you running and plug wires. Check to make sure the tops of your plugs are tight and that your plug boots arent falling off the plug wire. After that if it persists as haggis said CHECK YOUR REEDS:D

rmk800.tom

Reaction score
Thanks for the response.
when i rebuilt the top of the motor i checked the reed and found that my v-force reeds were chipped and cracked.I could not find the same reed to fit the cage so i went back to factory reeds.
I am running njk spark plugs 7788 bpr9es
I have found a broken o-ring on the bottom of the carb bowl in the plug the sediment tube is connected to.maybe i'm sucking air in there?
the total cost for me to rebuild the top of the motor as about 1050.00
this included new cylinders 375.00 each
new slp pistons and rings 90.00 each
complete gasket set 54.00
today i am going out to buy a new fuel pump and new o-rings for the sediment plug then try it again
all suggestion are welcome for i must get back on the hill for the 7th of march,i have have big trip to sicamous planned

rmk800.tom

Reaction score
well I replaced the o-rings on the sentiment tubes and i removed the clutch
I ran it with out the clutch on and I still am having the same problems
if Irun it at about 7500 rpm for about 20 seconds then it starts to bog and almost quit if I let off for about 3seconds and then get back on it then it will run at 7500 rpm for another 20 sec and so on.
at low rpm it still seems to miss or sputter and when I give it gas a little pressure comes out of the carb (with the air box off)
until the rpm is above 3000rpm . :confused:

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you recheck the reed petals, even although you put on new? What V force reeds were u using prior? If only one side was damages I believe I have one complete side that is good. Might be worth a try if you have another good side - I believe they were V force II reeds. I will check in the shop later tonight. Also have you given the carbs a complete clean?

I would almost bet it is your reeds??

rmk800.tom

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.I gave up so i took my sled to Highriver motor sports and
had dan look at it.He checked and cleaned the carbs adjusted the floats and reset the timing i beleive it was the throttle position sensor.He siad that the timing advances as the throttle is pushed and that my timing was out 10 degrees.This would account for how hard it was to pull the cord.
it now runs good at high speed but still feels like its missing on the trail like it's flooding.i adjusted the needle down 1 notch and it improved alot.
Dan thinks i have to adjust the fuel screws and problem solved .regardless it is 100 percent better.
the reeds were also checked when he rebuilt the carbs.
the v-force reeds are either the number one or number 2 i don't know how to tell the difference all it says on the reeds is v-force and it is in a gray cage.

Top Bottom