2000 rmk smoke problem

79fordf150

Reaction score
hi, new here and have a question. I just got a 2000 rmk 600 and when i start it, it smokes really bad and if i try to rev it up it pops and backfires. also after it warms up it is gutles down low. off of idle it studders and then it just takes off. bought it last year used from my friends cousin. any ideas thanks.

albertasummitx

Reaction score
take a 9/16 or 14 mm wrench and take the choke out of the carb's and make sure they move free .had this happen and it will fowl ur plugs and run like#%&*

switchbackfst

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your choke seems to work good (1/16") slack when in off position. It could be something so simple as bad plugs. If not that then check on the Mag side off your engine....at idle the two little lines on your oil pump plate should line up. If they don't then just make a small adjustment.

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you try to rev it up right after you start it and with the choke off you will get a lean pop because it isn't warmed up sufficiently and still needs extra fuel such as partial choke. I have a 1999 RMK600 and it smokes really bad at startup but everything is fine and it is okay once it is warm. You may need to adjust your air screws on the carbs or possibly even change the pilot jet for the bottom end takeoff issue. It could also be caused by too low of an idle speed. It could be a belt issue such as a worn belt that is too narrow. It could be a problem with belt deflection being too great. Push down on the center of the drive belt with a force of about 10 lbs and measure how far down it goes in reference to a straight edge that is laid across the top of the belt from clutch to clutch. It should be 1 1/4 inches of deflection. To adjust loosen the 3 bolts on the secondary clutch and rotate the adjusting plate.

powderpusher

Reaction score
had a 2000 rmk 600 smoked like hell when cold ,did the excact same as your sled ,found that carb boots were bad replaced them and went to smokeless strawberry oil ,sled worked perfect after that but almost all polaris,s will smoke on start up whick is good as you know you are getting sufficient oil and not wrecking your motor

Adrenaline Vince

Reaction score
You have a choke sticking,so just pull them out and make sure there clean. Second check that you have a little free play on the choke lever. If thats fine then change you plugs,could have a fowled plug. If that not it then pull carbs and check mains and pilot jets and make sure there no ch!t in the carbs. If still no luck then ya probably should find a shop. Im in Barrhead and have no prob checking it out for you.

79fordf150

Reaction score
ok the carbs are clean i dont know about the choke tho i will check tonight. I know the carbs have the factory size jets 175s and 48s i think. i also know its not a bad plug i've tried several different plugs. how do i check the oil pump plate deal and what am i looking for? sorry I'm in school to be a diesel tech, i know a little about sleds but not to much i know there fun!!!

albertasummitx

Reaction score
follow your oil cable down to where it is bolted on to the plate,there is 2 marks ,1 on the moving part and one is fixed.they should line up.pretty easy to see thr is lots of room .if they dont line up,there is adjustment on the threaded end.

Last edited:

800polaris

Reaction score
Hi, i have had that problem with my '01 800 RMK. My problem is when i bought the sled he had 6-9000' jets in, and the sled just wouldnt run right. Maybe check your jetting. RMK's come from the factory 3-6000' jets, if you live in AB there perfect

79fordf150

Reaction score
hi The jets i have in it are 175s and 48s. it runs great after you let it warm up and then drive it around for 5 to 10 minutes, then it just hesitates off of idle

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hi The jets i have in it are 175s and 48s. it runs great after you let it warm up and then drive it around for 5 to 10 minutes, then it just hesitates off of idle

Drop your pilots down to 45s or even 42s. The fault with the ACCS system is that there is very little vacuum created for the ACCS module at idle so it runs really rich on the bottom end.

Top Bottom