2000 rmk 700

prairiequad

Reaction score
hello: i just purchased this sled from someone i know. this sled ran fine all last yr and when i ran it for the first time last night the temp light came on. we just got a dump of snow about 10cm and -8c. could it be a fluke like the thermostat sticking?

rmk mod

Reaction score
Do you have coolant in it? It could be a stuck thermostat, how long did it run for before the light came on? I cant remember if that sled has a water pump belt, if so i would check that, if you have a temp gun you can confirm if it relay is getting hot. If every thing checks out, remove the t-stat and run with out to test.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has a belt to run the pump,( I had a 99 600 RMK) and I think there is a sight hole that you can put your finger in to check the tension on the belt, down by the recoil. Please dont check with the engine running:eek: Maybe check the wiring to the sensor, could be frayed.

j.c.higgins

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you have to remove your pipe, remove the oilpump, and remove the 5 or six capscrews on the recoil/mag cover. It's not necessary to remove you oil lines unless you want. Pull the cover off and replace the belt, keep your old for a spare if it's still good. New belts i think are around $24 bucks thru Polaris. Turn the waterpump shaft by hand to make sure thats not seized, i just rebuilt one of those motors for a guy and the inner pump bearing was completely gone. Higgins

prairiequad

Reaction score
hi ; thanks for the info, i will check it out and replace the belt. i have a new thermostat on order and i tested the old one in a pot of boiling water last night. it was stuck closed and some rust came out. i think i will also check out and replace the temp sensor as i was told they could give trouble, because the light comes on in less than 5 minutes after warm up . is there any special pullers required to get to the water pump belt ?

powderpusher

Reaction score
I would start with the thermostat and check the coolant level as it is most likely the cause of the problem if it run good when parked at end of last season,i also run wetter is better purchased at can tire in my sled as it helps keep the pump lubricated

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hi ; thanks for the info, i will check it out and replace the belt. i have a new thermostat on order and i tested the old one in a pot of boiling water last night. it was stuck closed and some rust came out. i think i will also check out and replace the temp sensor as i was told they could give trouble, because the light comes on in less than 5 minutes after warm up . is there any special pullers required to get to the water pump belt ?
I'd change your coolant if your seeing rust! You shouldn't see rust if your coolant is up to par.

Pink-Inc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem. When I bought my '01 800 a few years back I took it for a test run and it ran perfect. Few days later I picked it up and same thing you said. I traced it back to the ground on the temp sensor. Put in a new sensor and good to go.

prairiequad

Reaction score
hi; thanks for the reply. i just bought a new sensor and will be installing it, i kinda thought the same thing as you so i will give it a try.
thanks again

Top Bottom