2000 GMC 2500 Cold Air Intake

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I have been looking for things to improve the fuel economy of my truck, short of driving slower, I really don't speed much anyways. I have been told put a cold air and a good chip (Wester's Garage Tilley, Alberta) any truth in this? Any other things that will make a difference. it's automatic

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 99 GMC 2500 4x4 ex cab short box with a 454......I have a cold air kit, true duel exhaust (magnaflow), one O2 sensor on the right back shooting a code! (it is sensing rich so it is leaning it out a bit) cats are gone. when I first got the truck I was getting 14-15 mpg at 110 km/hr.......before O2 sensor went I was getting 17 to 18 mpg......with sensor gone I'm getting 18-19......now I have to get a programer so I can get the left bank to run a little leaner and I should get 20 mpg.......don't get me wrong but this is normal highweay driving.....between 110-120 km/hr..........but in town pulling my trailer for work I get about 10-12 mpg........I have a heavy foot when taking off lol went to Edmonton from Sicamous pulling a heavy car trailer and brought a jeep and a truck load of parts home........was getting 16-17 pulling an empty trailer between 110-140km/hr and 13-14 fully load doing the same speed!.......

so what engine do you have?

Last edited:

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most say the best way is to do the CAI, Exhaust and chip to get the most gains in fuel economy and power. Just go out and get the parts then let me know if it worked so I can improve mine before winter when the car gets parked. I am assuming you have the 6.0L same as my 2000 GMC 2500!

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 99 GMC 4x4 ex cab short box with a 454......I have a cold air kit, true duel exhaust (magnaflow), one O2 sensor on the right back shooting a code! (it is sensing rich so it is leaning it out a bit) cats are gone. when I first got the truck I was getting 14-15 mpg at 110 km/hr.......before O2 sensor went I was getting 17 to 18 mpg......with sensor gone I'm getting 18-19......now I have to get a programer so I can get the left bank to run a little leaner and I should get 20 mpg.......don't get me wrong but this is normal highweay driving.....between 110-120 km/hr..........but in town pulling my trailer for work I get about 10-12 mpg........I have a heavy foot when taking off lol went to Edmonton from Sicamous pulling a heavy car trailer and brought a jeep and a truck load of parts home........was getting 16-17 pulling an empty trailer between 110-140km/hr and 13-14 fully load doing the same speed!.......

Most say the best way is to do the CAI, Exhaust and chip to get the most gains in fuel economy and power. Just go out and get the parts then let me know if it worked so I can improve mine before winter when the car gets parked. I am assuming you have the 6.0L same as my 2000 GMC 2500!

Yepp 6.0L i love the power coming from a 5.4 triton but the fuel hurts

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 99 GMC 4x4 ex cab short box with a 454......I have a cold air kit, true duel exhaust (magnaflow), one O2 sensor on the right back shooting a code! (it is sensing rich so it is leaning it out a bit) cats are gone. when I first got the truck I was getting 14-15 mpg at 110 km/hr.......before O2 sensor went I was getting 17 to 18 mpg......with sensor gone I'm getting 18-19......now I have to get a programer so I can get the left bank to run a little leaner and I should get 20 mpg.......don't get me wrong but this is normal highweay driving.....between 110-120 km/hr..........but in town pulling my trailer for work I get about 10-12 mpg........I have a heavy foot when taking off lol went to Edmonton from Sicamous pulling a heavy car trailer and brought a jeep and a truck load of parts home........was getting 16-17 pulling an empty trailer between 110-140km/hr and 13-14 fully load doing the same speed!.......

What does an 02 sensor run you in $$? Install it yourself?

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does an 02 sensor run you in $$? Install it yourself?

I have not fixed it for a reason! it gave me better MPG......but since the cats are gone and it is the O2 behind the cats I should really put in "ghost" 02 sensors (way more money too!)to trick the ECM that there is cats.......or leave this broken one in! lol truck runs great and on the scan tool it shows all good except for the one code.......so why fix it if I get better MPG?

Last edited:

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Towing my trailer and deck with a quad on it I get about 350 km to a tank of fuel and I drive 100-105 kph. not sure what that converts to but I am sure it really sucks. Power wise the 3/4 ton has much better pulling power then a 97 gmc 1/2 ton 4 x 4 with a 5.7 litre. Have heard that the rerouted air intake is supposed to help.

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cold air intakes are a waste of money. best thing is exhaust and a custom tune. not just a hypertech hand held. you can get one from a black bear tune in the states i think, i am lucky as i have a local guy in town that i pay and he custom tunes each truck and motor. you dont get any cold air from a cold air intake it just draws underhood air. ur stock intake draws wheel well air which is colder. just a thought for ya.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as a AutoTech..I have to agree that the cold air kits dont work,,,keep OEM filter box,and use Fram Air Hog or a washable K&N, mileage went up 2 mpg on my 99s. both 1500s,2 wh dr. and a 4 wh dr. by using K&Ns.got em for $30.00 in Nebraska at a Auto Source..2 wh dr gets 28 at 100..4 wh. gets 20 at 100
keeping the pedal outta the metal really helps the most.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this work for me K&N air filter , shorty headers , new O2 sensors purchased at napa saved a few bucks , colder heat range of spark plugs , todays fuel has more ethenal in it and burns hotter . colder plugs trick the O2 sensors up goes the fuel mileage/power . waiting for the exshaust to rot off , then open it up , O2 sensers lose there abilty with age mine old ones did not throw a code up but I did notice a big change with the new ones
1998 Ford 4.6 F250 370000 kms next oil change

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cold air intakes are a waste of money. best thing is exhaust and a custom tune. not just a hypertech hand held. you can get one from a black bear tune in the states i think, i am lucky as i have a local guy in town that i pay and he custom tunes each truck and motor. you dont get any cold air from a cold air intake it just draws underhood air. ur stock intake draws wheel well air which is colder. just a thought for ya.

Ya Wester's does a good set up. It's kinda funny to see you will drive by this chitty little shack in Tilley and you wouldn't think much of it until you see the Corvette's, BMW's, Porsche's, etc. almost always out front.

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as a AutoTech..I have to agree that the cold air kits dont work,,,keep OEM filter box,and use Fram Air Hog or a washable K&N, mileage went up 2 mpg on my 99s. both 1500s,2 wh dr. and a 4 wh dr. by using K&Ns.got em for $30.00 in Nebraska at a Auto Source..2 wh dr gets 28 at 100..4 wh. gets 20 at 100
keeping the pedal outta the metal really helps the most.

So here's a question for exhaust's. What's best? should i spend the money on a magnaflow or just straight pipe it? and i mean straight 2.5" from the engine. no muffler or cats

4byrookie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here's a question for exhaust's. What's best? should i spend the money on a magnaflow or just straight pipe it? and i mean straight 2.5" from the engine. no muffler or cats

If you have an exhaust shop nearby, get them to do it. I was quoted $300 to have my 6L done with 3" pipe all the way(same as the HD trucks) with a high flow, throaty sounding muffler. You could straight pipe it but be wary of the cops and there stupid noise laws!

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have an exhaust shop nearby, get them to do it. I was quoted $300 to have my 6L done with 3" pipe all the way(same as the HD trucks) with a high flow, throaty sounding muffler. You could straight pipe it but be wary of the cops and there stupid noise laws!

Just take it easy in town. We have an old 95? 2wd that is 2" to a big 4" tip it's ridiculously loud. fun but loud and the cops haven't bothered us....yet

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i love duals but a 3" with a nice muffler would be good maybe dynomax gotta be careful with some mufflers as you get horrible drone with some inside the cab. i think its dynomax or magnaflow that had one that was supposed to get rid of the drone. i believe we had a flo pro on our 6.0l terrible drone but sounded good outside the cab :p

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a flowmaster 3" cat back system on my truck and it made a HUGE difference, 99 6.0L Auto 2WD reg cab long box and I usually get 750 - 800 out of 120L of fuel hiway between 100 - 120kmh. Towing the trailer with the quad @ 100 - 110kmh I average 650 if there are lots of hills!! As for the cold air intake I have heard from lots of people and places that the factory Gm system flowed very well, BUT the "snorkels" on the side of the air box itself have to come out (this modification is free and well worth it as it creates a HUGE hole to draw a whole bunch more air in). Still draws air in from the wheel well and more importantly all the "cold air" that comes in from the headlights. However friends of mine put a true CAI on their '03 chev 1/2 5.3L truck and have had great results!! I use a normal paper filter too!!;) I drive like a grampa in town though, and don't slam on the gas to get moving when I have a load on! Also use nothing but synthetic fluids in everything, made a huge difference since the truck used almost half a tank when I got it, to drive from CGY to Ponoka the day I purchased it...LOL:)

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i love duals but a 3" with a nice muffler would be good maybe dynomax gotta be careful with some mufflers as you get horrible drone with some inside the cab. i think its dynomax or magnaflow that had one that was supposed to get rid of the drone. i believe we had a flo pro on our 6.0l terrible drone but sounded good outside the cab :p

Dynomax VT is the one that eliminates drones.

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yes I had a dynomax on my old dakota R/T and the drone inside the truck was enough to make your ears BLEED!! I love the exhaust tone from the flowmaster, and very very little to NO drone at all!! :d Which exhaust is better, depends on how loud you want your truck....Youtube it, lots of guys post videos of their exhaust sounds...hahaha:rolleyes:

byronkentgraham

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I had a dynomax on my old dakota R/T and the drone inside the truck was enough to make your ears BLEED!! I love the exhaust tone from the flowmaster, and very very little to NO drone at all!! :d Which exhaust is better, depends on how loud you want your truck....Youtube it, lots of guys post videos of their exhaust sounds...hahaha:rolleyes:

As loud as possible. Need something to drown out the little ricers ;)

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
havent heard the dynomax muffler but the flo pro on ours was defintly loud enough for me :p i like more of a rumble sound though (our 6.0 still had cats)

Top Bottom