2000 550 RMK Indy Trail Fan

Titan

Reaction score
So I think we took the rings out of one side of this low milage sled. Less than 700miles

Haven't had time to look at it aside from pulling the plugs on the trail but one plug looked like it was welded together...

I suspect the oiler went and took the rings out of one side
Motor didn't seize.

So....What am I looking at as a minimum to get this thing running again?
Pistons, Rings, wrist pins and likely at least one cylinder?

Would you guys just to a complete top and bottom?
How many folks have just taken the oiler out all together and just mix gas?

Again I haven't had time to pull it apart and look but trying to get an idea of what we're up against...and if this is somthing I want to tackle or take to a shop.

Thoughts?

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are you mechanically inclined very easy motors to work on don't takeout the oil injection get a set of pistons, rings, head gaskets the wrist pins should be ok

Titan

Reaction score
Ok good to know.
I'll dig into this thing and update as I go....
I have to admit I'm pissed that I have issues with this thing when it's got zero miles on it

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sounds more like a lean condition on one side to me. Spark plug was likely bridged with melted aluminum from piston. You may have an air leak on one side due to either faulty carb boot or leaking crankcase seal. It could also be a plugged jet in the carb for that side.

Titan

Reaction score
It sounds more like a lean condition on one side to me. Spark plug was likely bridged with melted aluminum from piston. You may have an air leak on one side due to either faulty carb boot or leaking crankcase seal. It could also be a plugged jet in the carb for that side.

You could be right....I'll update when I get a chance to take a good look...need buddy to come help me get it off the trailer and into the shop.

Titan

Reaction score
550fan2.jpg

Titan

Reaction score
I suspect plugged jet(s)
anyone know if these are steel or nikasil cylinder walls?

Top Bottom