2 way radio

ZIG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lOOKING TO BUY A 2WAY RADIO THAT I CAN PUT IN MY BACK PACK THAT HAS A COILED CORD THAT GOES TO A MIC AND SPEAKER. WOULD LIKE THE MIC TO FASTEN TO MY SHOULDER. ANY SUGGESTIONS. THANKS

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
rhino 520/530 hcx or the 650. a rhino 110/12130 will also work

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind getting one myself. What kind of range do they have? Currently I'm using the Rhino buddy find GPS. Not the greatest for range, plus batteries die quicker when using the radio.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We use 3 Garmin 530HCx Gps's with Motorola NTN8867A Mics

They work great - best part is the GPS is inside your jacket keeping warm - Batteries last 2x longer when warm

Mic cliped to jacket and you can talk and hear very good. - but not when riding hard

Best part is, you loses a buddy pull the GPS out and call him and you get his head on the GPS screen and can drive back to him no matter which direction to ride to him. (His head is actually a waypoint).
This might save your buddies life if he fell into a tree well, creek etc.
In the back country it is all about time - how fast can you get to someone in trouble!!!!

Can not do that with just radios -

Plus we GPS track all rides and staging areas as we go so we have a huge GPS data base from 11 years riding.
Plus you can build/printout a map to show your friends better where you are going and why you have to go "THIS WAY".

We have yet to find any perfect radios that work 100% in the bush either sledding or quadding that did not cost a fortune.
The working mans radios all work off of "LINE OF SIGHT" so work great across a lake but maybe 2-3km in the bush max.
If the radios can not pickup your buddy move to the highest point of land and try again

Also Canadian GPS are limited to 2watts transmitting while the USA models are at 5watts transmitting - if possible by the USA model.

Last edited:
Top Bottom