2 stroke help please

Wrathchild

Reaction score
My 88 safari stalled out yesterday and i cannot figure out how to get it going again. yes the tank is full haha. its a pull start and it only begins to turn over if you prime the heck out of it and then it dies again. any tips?

W

woodies

Start at the motor (carb) and trace back the fuel line to tank most likely be a in line filter. No you can';t clean you'll need to get same one and replace. Also check that the line from fuel pump to the crankcase is not broken or off! Keep us posted!

Wrathchild

Reaction score
ok so, i found a break in the line that goes from the top of the gas tank tooo... well i dont know where that goes, is that my problem? and how do i fix it?

s/b tech

Reaction score
The top line on the tank is a vent line and can be easily replaced. Try cleaning the carbs and replacing the fuel filter. Also check the fuel tank for water or dirt. Hope this helps.

Wrathchild

Reaction score
got it! there was a break in a line, shes all good now and runnin! thanks guys, now i can ride a little longer this year haha

The bar on the back behind the seat feels a little weak, can i make it stronger some how? or would i need a new one?

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being that it a 88 I wouldn.t think twice about change all fuel lines they get
hard with time and will not seal so then you have a real pain in *** air locks
fuel systems are generally inexpensive to repair you can get rebuild kits for
reasonable price I generally deal with Royal distributing pumps kits10.00
carb kitsabout 30.00 filter 4.00 fuel line 6.00 pretty cheap repair:d

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being that it a 88 I wouldn.t think twice about change all fuel lines they get
hard with time and will not seal so then you have a real pain in *** air locks
fuel systems are generally inexpensive to repair you can get rebuild kits for
reasonable price I generally deal with Royal distributing pumps kits10.00
carb kitsabout 30.00 filter 4.00 fuel line 6.00 pretty cheap repair:d

Like MXZ said change all the fuel lines. I would also recomment that you change the oil lines as well. Had an oil line failure on My 83 Panther. The belly pan doesnt need the lubrication as much as the engine does.:d

Wrathchild

Reaction score
my hood is pretty cracked and the dude at snowmobile heaven said he could get an after market one for 700 bucks... which sounds ridiculous to me, so if any of you guys know anyone with an old hood lying around plz let me know. its a 88 safari 377, even if the hood is different but compatible it would be fine

W

woodies

try google search, i seen one yesterday after i was looking for a manual to see where the filter was!

f150truck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On this vintage of Skidoo keep an eye on the throttle cable that goes to the oil pump they have a habit of breaking, then it only gets idle oil no matter what the throttle position is. I have 2 built in 86 and both are now on mix gas.

powderpusher

Reaction score
if the cable is jumping out of its spot id run what you have for fuel in it out and would disconect the cable before you fuel it back up and run a 50 to 1 mixed gas in it it will save you the cost of a rebuild if the cable comes right out while your out riding and it seizes up from lack of oil,ive owned a few of the older skandics and safaris and had the same problem

Top Bottom