2 guys missing in mcbride Lucile

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A big part of the reason I ride McBride is the fantastic group of people in that town! Their S & R is top notch and the whole community rallies behind you when you need them. You hope you never require their services, but if you do, it sure provides great peace of mind to know they're there!

:beer: McBride!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup, we were down there too, and had a very difficult time getting back out.... Not good..... But sure glad the s.a.r. Boys could do their thing.... Hiway between robson and jasper has been shut down due to avy threats......glad everything worked out okay

channonmanuel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have it on gps and there sleds are almost down to the door river road, they did a lot of tree cutting and kept dropping further and further down, a couple of locals dropped down as far as possible and said they were still a long ways from the sleds. Trying to get them chopper out today just waiting to see if chopper can do it today.

Sent from my iPhone using

waynemags

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good to hear all worked out. I can understand how easy it would be to get in a bind. im pretty cautiouse as to where ill go as I know my limits. I like to get braver each time out but I know what the risk is to. experienced or not, can happen to anyone. especially nowadays with the power and tracks on these sleds. hope everyone has the basic survival gear if not for you, for someone in distress. kudos to the people who helped out.

Reaction score
I'd like to thank everyone involved in yesterday's and todays rescue. The boys from mcbride/valemount rescue team did a outstanding job in find my buddy and I, communication between everyone was awesome, we're very thankful we got friends and family and locals that did everything they could to track us down. Thanks again

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd like to thank everyone involved in yesterday's and todays rescue. The boys from mcbride/valemount rescue team did a outstanding job in find my buddy and I, communication between everyone was awesome, we're very thankful we got friends and family and locals that did everything they could to track us down. Thanks again
glad to hear the positive outcome. care to give us the details? you know, for educational purposes? :beer:

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Aerocharger King
Glad you are ok and things worked out I can only imagine staying on the Mtn for the night was a tough thing

Can I be so bold to ask you a few questions

What were you thinking before you went in this area? Did someone encourage you?
Had you heard from others that is was a safe area?
I hope you learned something from this experience as it seems to me this was not a good decision

We all need to use wisdom when riding with these new sleds and power

birdie

Reaction score
Hi Aerocharger King
Glad you are ok and things worked out I can only imagine staying on the Mtn for the night was a tough thing

Can I be so bold to ask you a few questions

What were you thinking before you went in this area? Did someone encourage you?
Had you heard from others that is was a safe area?
I hope you learned something from this experience as it seems to me this was not a good decision

We all need to use wisdom when riding with these new sleds and power

birdie

I told the boys me and my buddy will be back up with
in the hour cuz we wana go home. And we dropped down and ran into the groomed trail, we got on the trail and went up maybe 20meter toward the cabin and darted back in the trees to try and go up towards the cabin the same way we came down. We got stuck and got turned back down hill and back on the groomed trail. We tryed one more time and almost made it but I guess we drifted to far away from the trail and came back down and couldn't find the trail. We kept on heading down and thru the trees and eventually hit an open area and heard a sled to our left when we were facing down hill towards mcbride. We went towards the noise and got into a open cut block and couldn't find any sign of life. We kept heading down down down until my buddy got stuck in a creek and that's when we decided to call it quits and set up camp, beside the sleds, we were loosing daylight quickly, at about midnight we decided we weren't gonna stay warm where we were and the only way we were gonna stay warm was by to keep moving. So we hiked the hill all night till the snow got to deep. Turned my phone on to get the flash light going to see if we could see where we came down and suddly got service. Called 911 made it thru for 13 seconds and dropped it, I guess it was long enough to get my coordanites. Also they got coordinates from a text I sent to my mom saying "in the burnt area, send a heli" we dug a hole under a spruce tree and had 5 liters of fuel in my avy bag and got a fire going. About 9am frozen and could hardly move we heard the chopper come in, I thru my avy bag out of the hole and jumped out and pulled my bag and started to wave it, my buddy thru about 3 liters of fuel on the fire to try and make us visible. Steve saw my orange jacket and bag right away and they landed about 100m away and came and made a trail for use to walk on. I'd I just got video and pictures of our sleds being helicoptered out. I'd like to thank rod and Eric from the climb helicopters and Barry from SAR, they all are top notch guys. And I owe them one

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to pry but I'm going to.
What did you guys have for supplies for an overnight stay (fire starters-saw, food, first aid gear, one layer dry clothes, outdoor or survival training) and what will you be adding?
Just curious what you learned, would recommend to others and will change in your future sledding since you young fellows have a long sledding career ahead of you.

Last edited:

KurtD16

Reaction score
thanks to everyone for all their help and great communication and especially the search and rescue team that got me and mark out of there.will never forget this experience and cant thank the people enough who helped us. for survival equipment we had a saw that was in the handle of our shovel, a lighter, and the gas can on my sled, and some gatorade.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, aerocharger king..

You sad that you had fuel in your backpack? You mean gas in there?? That's an odd place to have gasoline..

This is an excellent lesson for me, and I just wing it in the backcountry.. I have a lousy RINO GPS and never track my ride.

I have followed creeks down and got lost at times.... and followed tracks of a riding partner down and sometimes wondered where we were, only to be 30 yards from the main trail..

Top Bottom