2.5 VS 3in mountain sled tracks

Nikm17

Reaction score
In 2017 my dad and I both bought brand new G4 165s. I bought a 3” and he bought a 2.5”. His reasoning for the smaller track was that he wanted to use it for riding around the farm too and the smaller lug is better for that. In 2018 my dad snowchecked a new sled with a 3” after seeing how much better the 3” is in deep snow.

We jumped back and fourth many times and the 3” track is hands down more fun to ride and more playful than the 2.5”. The 2.5 can pretty much get to any of the same places as the 3 but you have to be more on the throttle and really work the sled more in deep snow. The 3 gives you more time to think and more forgiveness if you really need to get out of a sketchy spot. I rode the 2.5 and 3 in almost any snow condition and as long as you have a few inches of fresh or decently soft spring snow the 3” is nicer to ride.

Unless you want to ride trails without using scratchers or ride hard packed around the cabin I wouldn’t buy a 165 3”(for riding BC). Apparently in the 154 its a different story but I don’t have experience with that. The 3” is definitely less durable than the 2.5 though

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been running a 3 inch for the last 7 years and I went to a 2.6 this year.

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With a Polaris I would take the 2.6” with belt drive over their 3” and chain case for the same track length. Having ridden both and not seen a situation where the 3” really excelled, the 2.6” system feels and is lighter. I can’t speak to the Doo’s as I have only ridden a Gen 4 with the 3”. Between the 175 and 165 Doo I prefer the 165 again because of the lighter feel. The 175 will keep chewing and moving longer in those Deep days, but IMO you give up to much of the fun factor.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the 3" track myself. When I first got my 163 T3, I was amazed at what it would pull itself out of and how much less throttle I needed to use to crawl through the trees and maintain momentum and traction. My next sled will be a 3", likely a 165 G4 850.

I do think the 174/175 train is losing momentum. There doesn't seem to be as many of them out on the snow or being snowchecked? Maybe its just me but there seems be mostly 163/165" sleds out there. On the stupid deep days I'm sure a 175 is awesome but unless you're a local and/or ride the west coast, thats a lot of track to be spinning for no real advantage on average snow conditions.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know whats better, but this year I went back to a 155 2.6 from a 163 3" and I have been having a lot of fun. Maybe go back to a 163 again for the next sled but it won't be a 3"

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm at least 100# heavier than Chris with half the skill so I like my 3". It won't be a 174 next time though, I'll go back to a 163/165. If I had a 2nd sled it would be a 146 or 154 2.5 for spring riding since I don't like the 3" in set up snow. As said above if the snow isn't good I don't go unless it's really early season or late season as I like to ride Oct-July if possible and Nov-May at the least.
Fawking sissy, is that why ya never ride anymore??

Or scared to tpephen your sled again???

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You prob don’t get the full experience until you chop your tunnel off too!

https://youtu.be/3Bzp6n61938

I was gonna post the same thing - don't listen to a guy who buys a sled and cuts the tunnel off so it wheelies better. What a joke.

Original question - 2.5" or 3"? Really depends on your riding and your snow conditions. the 3" tracks trench deeper, but they seem to lay down marginally better and float up at times. Really only matters when the sled can't bite into harder stuff below. Anything after mid-march has enough settling to generally keep a 2.5" happy. In the unconsolidated stuff the 3" tends to shovel it more. If you get stuck with a 3" though, you are really stuck.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought that video was weird... he said the 2.5 vs 3 lets it move forward and not wheelie. then in the other video, he says the cut tunnel allows him to rotate the sled up easier... isn't that opposing?

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought that video was weird... he said the 2.5 vs 3 lets it move forward and not wheelie. then in the other video, he says the cut tunnel allows him to rotate the sled up easier... isn't that opposing?

The guy has like 40 sleds, so I guess it must depend on the day.
Must be nice.

Last edited:

v10rider

Reaction score

The shorter lug would wheelie a lot less than the taller lug in the same snow condition. That's just a given. The shorter track allows the sled to keep trenching and move forward where the normal tunnel length will get hung up on the snow

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was gonna post the same thing - don't listen to a guy who buys a sled and cuts the tunnel off so it wheelies better. What a joke.

Original question - 2.5" or 3"? Really depends on your riding and your snow conditions. the 3" tracks trench deeper, but they seem to lay down marginally better and float up at times. Really only matters when the sled can't bite into harder stuff below. Anything after mid-march has enough settling to generally keep a 2.5" happy. In the unconsolidated stuff the 3" tends to shovel it more. If you get stuck with a 3" though, you are really stuck.
Anytime there is a dump of snow, unless it is a warm heavy dump, a 3" is going to get you out of the hole better. It just shovels more at one time to help push you forward. Yes a 2.5" works, but I cannot see an instance where the snow is deep that a 3" will not be superior.

Any stuck is stuck. Whether you have a 2.5 or 3", you are probably dug to the running boards. A 3" isn't digging deeper.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now a question for you guys? If you cut the tunnel would it not make it harder to lift the back end out of trench if you have to. Like walking up to your sled then going back 4" to lift. Be tougher than a guy thinks. It's not close to your body for the power lift. I'm a bit older so maybe thats my problem Lol

Top Bottom