2.5 VS 3in mountain sled tracks

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
decided to make a thread to discuss what everyone thinks is the best track for mountain machines. Everyone jumped to a 3inch what they became available but is it just a fad? is the bigger lug actually better? How many days do we get where we actually need a 3incher!? If you listen to chris he bring up some pretty valid points.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that burant never actually rides in deep powder, nor does he ride a stock sled.
I actually only agree on one point he made, the 2.6 or 2.5” is a great all around track.

Look at it this way, traction hinders the ability to do fancy whips and such, and makes those maneuvers more difficult to initiate.

If your trying to climb out of something straight up, traction is king not trackspeed.

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think with anything over 163 - 165 inch , a 2.5 to 2.8 is by far a better all around track .
Unless in a area with short trails to alpine and deep .
Have had it both ways and prefer the 2.5 in a 174 .

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
for me upgrading to a 3" track made all the difference when riding the steep and deep of b.c.! The 2.5" track is great but the 3 just brings me so much further and gets me out of some sticky situations ! deep snow 3" hands down best track! 2.5" everything else

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not really agreeing with many of his points. I always find the 3" pops on top of the snow better especially when stuck. for the average or new mountain rider the 3 inch hands down 90% of the year makes the experience more enjoyable. Like mentioned if you need to climb a wall in a tricky spot the 3" is what you need. the 2.5" does give me more control sidehilling i find

chickenman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i jumped from a CE 2.5 to the doo 174 x 3 and now 175 x3 and not going back. Idont have the luxury of multiple sleds with multiple tracks so for me i just went all in and am always happy till im stuck. I also weigh close to !00 lbs more than Chris so feel that plays into it for me a bit. The 3" on a Pro was dubbed a for man turbo for years! Buddy went from a '14 doo 163 - '16 T3 163 and could not believe the difference it made! I guess it all depends how far away from the cabin one is willing to venture for find deep snow

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never rode Colorado but I know from getting further south in Wyoming that it's different snow down there than what the the interior of BC typically gets. What works great one place, may not in another.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we all know a 3 inch is king in deep snow. But we are talking like DEEP. how many days do you actually get that you need the 3 inch?

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought how the T3 was set up with the 3" track made a huge difference . Side by side pulls up hill old xm with a 3" stuffed in and the T3 droped case the extra clearance made all the difference in the world. The new 165 / 3" track is also 10 lbs lighter . I find it gets up on top great . the lugs at a larger pitch also helps alot with hook up. I don't know if the axes has much of a drop in the case but when there is no clearance in there the 2.6 will work better.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a guy like me who works shift and has lots of days off those deep days are almost 90% of my mountain riding. I have a schedule that allows me to chase storms and head out sledding usually on a day or two notice. Last year 15/18 of the my days in the mtns were 3' + of fresh snow. Would of had lots more of those days but was laid up for a couple months with a hurt back. The 3" has completely changed the game IMO

we all know a 3 inch is king in deep snow. But we are talking like DEEP. how many days do you actually get that you need the 3 inch?

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Well the same can be said for a turbo, how often is one really needed?

Even 1-2ft of fresh in the trees, its nice to use half throttle with the 3” instead of wicking it to the bar with a 2.5”.

What I have been wondering is how the 3.5” pitch 2.5” works compared to a 3.0 pitch 3”.
The 3.5” pitch 3” is a nice track, not very durable but it chews.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm at least 100# heavier than Chris with half the skill so I like my 3". It won't be a 174 next time though, I'll go back to a 163/165. If I had a 2nd sled it would be a 146 or 154 2.5 for spring riding since I don't like the 3" in set up snow. As said above if the snow isn't good I don't go unless it's really early season or late season as I like to ride Oct-July if possible and Nov-May at the least.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 3'' since 2011. Then back to a 2.5 in 13' for 1 weekend before I bought another 3. I don't understand the point of too much traction making certain maneuvers more difficult to initiate. Like, At all. A 3'' track does not have total 1:1 traction. If it did, these things would be unstoppable. They're not. If your goal is to spin the track down without having the sled lunge forward too fast to help an uphill turn, the 2.5'' isn't going to do anything that a 3'' can't. The point of 'how often do you NEED a 3''.. I dunno, 20% 70%. The question I would ask is what am I giving up by having a deeper lug. I'm an average rider on a good day though, so maybe that's why I NEED it.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the same can be said for a turbo, how often is one really needed?

Even 1-2ft of fresh in the trees, its nice to use half throttle with the 3” instead of wicking it to the bar with a 2.5”.

What I have been wondering is how the 3.5” pitch 2.5” works compared to a 3.0 pitch 3”.
The 3.5” pitch 3” is a nice track, not very durable but it chews.

I bin fishing for how the 2.5 on the gen 4 is working to, due to the fact the 3in likes to fall apart. Problem is no one seems to have one due to everyone buying a 3in. It makes me wonder if it would work on par with the t3 3inch track due to its pitch. Im looking at picking up a new machine and im wondering if the 2.5 might be the better option as i can ride it in all the snow conditions.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bin fishing for how the 2.5 on the gen 4 is working to, due to the fact the 3in likes to fall apart. Problem is no one seems to have one due to everyone buying a 3in. It makes me wonder if it would work on par with the t3 3inch track due to its pitch. Im looking at picking up a new machine and im wondering if the 2.5 might be the better option as i can ride it in all the snow conditions.

i have a G4 2.5"

it is by far more durable. part of the reason i went 2.5" you can hold er clipped over any obstacle and any snow condition. same cant be said for the 3" tracks on the G4

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a G4 2.5"

it is by far more durable. part of the reason i went 2.5" you can hold er clipped over any obstacle and any snow condition. same cant be said for the 3" tracks on the G4

so whats the consensus? do u prefer it over a 3inch? how does it perform? hows its deep snow performance? etc etc spill the beans.
I had a 2.5 back in 14 and i can say if i remember it rite i can put it pretty well everywhere i can put my 3in

Top Bottom