1999 Sportsman 500

rusty43

Reaction score
I found one for sale and was wondering if it's known to be a good/bad/or ugly unit? Starts well, has a blade and a winch, tires are in good shape, recoil is shot. It's faded quite a bit but I think it spent winters inside. What's a good price for one of these?

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
from what I have been told anything older then 2004 stay clear of they are high mantince quads. not sure what all to look for on these quads but a buddy who works for a polaris dealer as a mechinic said they are full of issuses thats all I know. but if it has been left outside probaly will be things wrong IMO

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All the carbed Sportsman 500s are pretty much the same. '97 and '98 had u-joint in the rear axles which were a problem, however the '99 had CVs. No changes to the engine or tranny. Long travel suspension came along in about 2003. From '98 to present MY the Sportsman has lost most of its grease nipples; seems like a few each year. '99 has quite a few grease nipples and if that makes it high maintenance try spending $$ replacing parts that you can't grease. Tie rod ends on pre 2000 or 2001 wore out quickly however these have been superceded to the 2002 and up part number.

Being ten years old and carrying a plow, expect the front coil springs to be shot. Springs are relatively cheap, but if it needs front shocks they are pricey. Check a-arm bushings and the lower steering stem bearing for movement.

Speedo on my '98 shows 20,000 miles (not km) and it quit long long long ago.

quadman

Reaction score
All the carbed Sportsman 500s are pretty much the same. '97 and '98 had u-joint in the rear axles which were a problem, however the '99 had CVs. No changes to the engine or tranny. Long travel suspension came along in about 2003. From '98 to present MY the Sportsman has lost most of its grease nipples; seems like a few each year. '99 has quite a few grease nipples and if that makes it high maintenance try spending $$ replacing parts that you can't grease. Tie rod ends on pre 2000 or 2001 wore out quickly however these have been superceded to the 2002 and up part number.

Being ten years old and carrying a plow, expect the front coil springs to be shot. Springs are relatively cheap, but if it needs front shocks they are pricey. Check a-arm bushings and the lower steering stem bearing for movement.

Speedo on my '98 shows 20,000 miles (not km) and it quit long long long ago.

i have 1999 polaris 500 and i love it paid 2500.00 and it is piped

quadman

Reaction score
i have 1999 polaris 500 and i love it paid 2500.00 and it is piped and i put 26s on it all th way around no problems

messinaround

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a 97 popo 500 excellent machine wish I never sold it had it lifted piped and snorkled went anywhere and everywhere ya it had alot of grease nipples but keep them greased and they last forever and it was always in the water.Also still have a 2000 sportsman 500 and it has never gave me any trouble at all it is also lifted no snorkles though..(yet)all around excellent bullitproof bike.:thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Top Bottom