1996 ultra SKS 680

2004MXZ800

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals

I just picked up a 1996 polaris ultra 680 sks in running condition for 600 only visible issue was the seat needed to be redone(in progress) I haven't ran it since I brought it home I will once I get the seat back. It has PSI triple pipes on it. Is there any common issues with these machines and is there any mods I can do it to improve it? The sled is a heavy beast any weight saving tips? I am getting plastic skis this week. Thanks in advance

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
gotta love those old tripples. God did they ever go.Hope the carbs are set up properly for you.

2004MXZ800

Reaction score
Once I have the seat done and one ill be able to run it for a longer period of time, ill do a plug chop then. Do you have any advice on what to look for with the carbs or tuning advice

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't that the same motor that was in the Storm? If so, check the crank and bearings asap. Syncing the carbs takes a bit of patients and also watch your jetting. Other than that you should have a decent ride, and for the price I wouldn't complain :D

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't that the same motor that was in the Storm? If so, check the crank and bearings asap. Syncing the carbs takes a bit of patients and also watch your jetting. Other than that you should have a decent ride, and for the price I wouldn't complain :D

Not the same motor as the storm. Agree with everything else :)$600 is crazy cheap for a running sled.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Once I have the seat done and one ill be able to run it for a longer period of time, ill do a plug chop then. Do you have any advice on what to look for with the carbs or tuning advice

I had a 95 XLT years ago. It was crazy fast
The carbs were tricky I had some help from my old neighbor. It eventually blew the bottom end and I sold it for parts

2004MXZ800

Reaction score
The motor is a rebuild the guy swapped in he said it had around 1000k on it. With the sled I got a tub full of spare parts, 2 good cylinders 4 that need to be re nickasiled extra bottom end, extra heads, recoil and a few other goodies

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
With the head off and piston off, you can grab a connecting rod and see if there is too much free play by wiggling it left to right. Not the best way, other than splitting your case's. But it will give you some indication if they are on their way out

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh....... if you are going to do that??? make sure you drain your antifreeze first!!! you don't want the green chit in the bottom end :D

justpinit

Reaction score
Great sleds, and they RIP when working right! Sorry, but can't suggest any jetting or clutching. Nothing I ran here in BC will help you out on the prairies

My old '96 Ultra 162" - Triple SLP's sounded awesome

ultra162.jpg

Top Bottom