1996 Skidoo Summit 500 overreving when stopping

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1998 Skidoo Summit 500 overreving when stopping

Trying to figure out what is wrong with a 1998 Skidoo Summit 500 that is overreving when coming to a stop.
It has 3500km on it works great other than this overreving which will go from idle up to ablout 3500rpm
If you hit the kill switch 1 ot 2 times the idle drops down
If you hil the kill switch at 3500rpm you will not restart it for quite a while - 20 to 40 pulls

Can you use carborator cleaner on a 2 stroke engine or will that wreck it???

Any ideas???

Last edited:

mphfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: 1998 Skidoo Summit 500 overreving when stopping

Make sure your carb slide caps are tight. if they are loose the slides will come up a bit hence the revving.

You may also have a leak on a carb boot or crank seal. while its running spray a flammable liquid at the boots and seals and see if it revs up. If it does you are sucking in air causing it to rev up.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It slowly revs or does it stay revved up after you stop driving? If it stays revved up it could be the throttle cable.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Flip the choke or press the primer (can't remember which one these sleds had). If it idles down with the choke or the primer then it needs more fuel or less air on the idle circuit, take the air screws out, check the little o-ring on them. To re-install crank them all the way in to fully seated and then back them out 1 turn, then keep backing them out 1/4 turn evenly between the carbs until the idle starts climbing, then go back in 1/4 turn. Should be about 1.5-1.75 turns out from fully seated. The air screw could be plugged or the pilot jet could need some TLC. My old 670 would do something similar, with the air screw cranked out for more air at elevation, in the parking lot it would increase RPM to about 3200 when it was sitting there at idle. Quick shot of the primer and it idled right down. Could be a throttle cable issue as well, carb slides or air leak, those would be things to check as well. Check carb boots and around crank seal behind primary as well.

ratatatat

Reaction score
If you let it idle does it eventually drop down? I have a 98 670 it has always done this. Inconsistent on how long the fast idle lasts. Sometimes for minutes other times drops in 30 sec or so. I think it's the dpm and is normal. Not sure that year if you have a dpm or hac system. Check carefully for any air leaks. Three are a bunch of small hoses. If it drops on its own I think its the nature of the beast. I don't worry about mine. Doesn't affect how it runs once you open the throttle.

Top Bottom