1996 kawasaki 300 4x4

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just picked one up from a lady at work with a 48'' plow for 700 bucks looks mint and runs great lots of compersion just woundering what these things can run for tires with out robbing to much power mostly running hardpack trails with a few muskeg holes.anyone have one of these quads are they as fast as a honda 350?

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would put Bearclaws on it, light, 3/4-1" tread, plenty for the 300, wear like iron and great in all terrain except heavy mud and deep snow.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never liked mudlites because I have yet to see one that will hold air for any period of time. I am not a fan of the scoop pattern, and the gap between the lugs bulges out then more air you add to the tire.

The bearclaws have a better center lug(IMO) because they will grab and displace material unlike the ML which are like two arrow heads back to back with no gap and always plugged up on me. The bearclaws have a side lugs that will benefit you in off snow conditions as well

I guess I am trying to say IMO the bearclaw is a better all round tire than the ML. And I would also run a set of atv tire chains from princess auto or crappy tire to help.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are zillas a heavy tire? more for mud but that might be alright if they are good in snow and mud.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No zillas are pretty much the lightest tire you can get I have them on my rhino and love them. In comparison my 27" zilla mounted was about the same weight as my one 26" mudlite unmounted.

The zilla's are very good in snow, and IMO only second to mudbugs.

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ITP 589's are a great snow tire. They are a harder rubber than mud lite. ITP mud lite XTR's are pretty good too. They're pretty much a cross between mud lites and 589's. I definetly wouldn't go any bigger than 26 inch tires on the 300. I had an '06 400 honda that ran 24's stock and I put 26's on it, and they robbed the bottom end badly. I ended up running the stock tires again. I'm sure the kawi has more power overall though. Also, if you do run mud lites, it would be better on a smaller quad to run the mud lite AT's instead of the XT's.

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well was doing some plowing today and it seems to have close to the amount of power that my honda 420 did but more low end as this kawi has hi and low range with a 5 speed. with that said i think i will look for 12'' rims and run some 25'' tires not sure what kind yet but like what the zillas look like,but the stock tires did good for plowing and they are still like new this quad was used very little(I know the past owners) so I think for the winter I will run stockers and maybe look for a exhust system before tires but thanks for the help

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No problem. I agree, I think 25's would be the most beneficial for traction, ground clearance, and power on a quad that size.:beer:

Adrenaline Vince

Reaction score
Your going to be quite limited in a 25 so first find out whats avalable. But I think you should have enough power for them. You might beable to get a mudlite in the stock rim size there going to be the small lug but that all you should run on that machine anyway. But I do agree mudlite are a ch!t tire. Grip wise there all right, its just there built cheap. But I dont think you going to have much luck finding rims. Plus why spend the bill.

NoseFirst

Reaction score
I have the 1996 - 400 which is on the same frame. Run 25" bearclaws and love them. Good for all conditions as well as plowing. Totaly unstopable in the scag

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks guys I am looking for a set of 12" rims off a newer 650 kawi solid axle will work for my quad then tires will probarly be 26"PXT (polaris stockers) best all around stock tires out there plus they ae a radail

gforce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just picked one up from a lady at work with a 48'' plow for 700 bucks looks mint and runs great lots of compersion just woundering what these things can run for tires with out robbing to much power mostly running hardpack trails with a few muskeg holes.anyone have one of these quads are they as fast as a honda 350?

on thing ya sure got a good deal on the price..heck the plow is worth hale the cost..id go wit the bear claws..mud lite are too much tire for a little quad like that imo...heck have fun with it!

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when she told me the price I almost fell over I had priced out a plow last year for the honda I had and it was as much as I paid for this quad with the plow:d had a gut up the street offer me 3500.00 last night well I was out push snow out of my drive way no thanks i said

Top Bottom