1996 600 xcr sp

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dose any one in alberta own one of these and know what jeting should be around here. just bought the sled and i set the carbs to the manual and it runs good till about 7k then falls right on its face. i have cleaned the carbs and lines a couple times now, any help would be great. oh and its a triple triple engine case reed ported, not the mono block xlt.

Ryeser

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dose any one in alberta own one of these and know what jeting should be around here. just bought the sled and i set the carbs to the manual and it runs good till about 7k then falls right on its face. i have cleaned the carbs and lines a couple times now, any help would be great. oh and its a triple triple engine case reed ported, not the mono block xlt.

I used to have one and they are tough to line up. You may have to take it in to a dealer, I burnt a few pistons and learnt the hard way!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

jut sold the same sled this fall. the guy had 410s in it was way to fat. dropped down to a 370 and was not bad. probably could safely run in the 340 range i think. would pull full revs with the 370s but plugs were still a little dark. and that was at -20c really woke the sled up though as it was a total dog prior to rejetting.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and that was running the needle in the center clip.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 370 jets in it now and i think its fat at wot but its almost lean by the looks of the plugs in the mid range. it had 400 jets in it when i bought it. the 370s woke it up but there is still a bog at wot. i may have to drop jets and change needls idk.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
try doppping your needle clip to the bottom slot and see what happens.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
will try that. but wot the needle inst really controling anything is it?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no i was just talking for your mid range little lean condition you where worried about. once you get that can drop down more in your main jet if needed. are you running all stock airbox and pipes? are the reeds in good cond?

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok it has what i belive are the factory pipes and a dg can on it every thing is stock. i will have to drop one more jet size the drop the needle needle clip to the bottom. it wont be till tuse night that i can work on but i will report back.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're running up to 7K, then changing your needle will not do much at WOT, only a little bit on the overlap between the two fuel circuits. Drop mains and keep checking plugs, don't let it idle down just shut it off at WOT and keep the throttle held to the bars when you hit the kill switch, only let go of the throttle when the motor has stopped its revolutions.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you serviced your clutches? my 600 was exactly what yours is even to the can before i sold and went back to stock, was way to freakin loud, but it ran good and pulled full rpm quick. with the 370 mains in it.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya its loud and no to the clutches i will have to do that to. will that cause the no reving to full rpms? i have the night off work and will get out in to the field and cheak plugs i did a half trottle run and cheaked plugs and they were light brown like weak chocolate milk. well we will see if i can even get it run at 7k long enough to do a plug cheak i am pretty shure its fat at wot it was a lil worse befor i jeted down but didn't improve much thanks for the help.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya its loud and no to the clutches i will have to do that to. will that cause the no reving to full rpms? i have the night off work and will get out in to the field and cheak plugs i did a half trottle run and cheaked plugs and they were light brown like weak chocolate milk. well we will see if i can even get it run at 7k long enough to do a plug cheak i am pretty shure its fat at wot it was a lil worse befor i jeted down but didn't improve much thanks for the help.

Light brown like you described is perfect, check colour at WOT and then jet accordingly.

xcya

Reaction score
That sled should pull 8500rpm @wot.Check your mains and if they are any larger than 380 you are to rich.:eek:

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok did A wot run and pulled plugs mag and pto plugs look perfect center is soked. gona have to pull that carb for the third time and see what i can find. oh and i did a comp test on that hole and it is good.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i feel kinda dumb now after some looking around i found a carb vent line broken replaced hose and wow sled runs great its amazing how that would cause the cyclinder to run fat. thanks to every one that helped.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't that sled have staggered jetting? I believe stock was 360-390-390 but that was 13 yrs ago that I owned one of those, I'm just curious is all.
Glad to hear you got your sled running, I miss the sound of that sled.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya they do sound pretty sweet. I hope she will run again tonight had motor out to re build and freshen up. keeping it for the old lady to ditch bag on and for me to ripe across the lake on once and a while dam that thing is fast wide open.

Top Bottom