1987 ski-doo Safari 377

j_town

Reaction score
I am looking for some more info on a 1987 safari 377. VIN: 3625 04325

I am new to sleds and know very little about them. I am just trying to find out some very basic info about this particular sled to get it up and running again. I don't know whether or not its a 377E or regular 377. It has a place for a key (ignition?) but no battery so I am thinking that it doesn't have an electric start. The sled also doesn't come with a key so I am wondering if there is any way to start it with no key, unplugging the ignition seems relatively simple... I hesitate to call it ignition because I don't think that it actually starts the sled.

The sled was abandoned, hence the lack of key.
It has good compression with the pull start, the plugs are definitely fouled and the carb needs to be cleaned and needs gas so definitely doesn't start right now! However, if I fix said issues I want to be able to start it with no key.

I have tried locating a ski-doo VIN search but haven't had any luck. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
should just be able to remove the plug off the back of the key switch, and it should give you power thru to the plugs.....

unplug it, put a good plug in the end of a plug wire, and ground the side out, and watch for the sparks!

j_town

Reaction score
will give that a shot, thanks.
do you know of anywhere where i can search the vin and get the specs on it? kawasaki has that feature right on their site but no dice with ski-doo...

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
will give that a shot, thanks.
do you know of anywhere where i can search the vin and get the specs on it? kawasaki has that feature right on their site but no dice with ski-doo...

you would likely have to call a BRP/Skidoo Dealer

Nytroman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go to this and you can choose between the 377 and the 377e to see what parts match upto your unit and what you need. It even tells you the price through BRP. other than this I would not know why you would need more info unless trying to track original dealer and owner. Have purchased probably 50+ old sleds and most everything cross references, never used the S# before.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/eckomarineltd/Skidoo_OEM/SkiDoo.asp

maxpower

Reaction score
I used to have a Safari years ago. The best trail sled & one of the best to learn on. Turns easily, not to much power. Good luck with it and post some pictures when you have it running.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
canadian tire has generic key switches that you could use....

Top Bottom