1981 Panther chain case

blackwolf

Reaction score
Hello and HAPPY NEW YEAR ! just woundering if any body could help me? I have a 1981 Panther . the bottom bearing went out of the chain case so I tore it down and replaced the needed parts. now I cant figure out how to stop the oil from pouring out. I put the O ring around the out side of the bearing but still leaks im I missing anything? what stops the oil from coming out? Any help[ would be appreciate THANKS

blackwolf

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply thats A neat web site they have looks like I might have the O ring on the wrong side of the bearing ill try that

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ordered from them for some older items I needed for 1972 440 puma, when i redid my silver bullet i had seal in wrong and it leaked oil had to take the track out the second time

blackwolf

Reaction score
it looks like the o ring goes on the inside of the bearing (toward the track) and thats it I think ? is there any other seal?

mountianguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it looks like the o ring goes on the inside of the bearing (toward the track) and thats it I think ? is there any other seal?

When installing. The bearing goes on first then the o ring then retainer. Be sure to have the flange side of the bearing toward the out side and you should be good. Make sure the plug on the inside of the chain case is tight and also the outer seal can sometimes leak. Just did one the other day it was a 91 but A/C used the same chain case for a long time. At least my 81 tiger had the same one hope this helps.

blackwolf

Reaction score
OK thanks I did have it together right the frist two times (with the bearing in frist still leaked ) ill try again.

Top Bottom