174" x 3" track advise

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a '14 M9000 162". I am thinking of going to a 174 and not sure if I should stay with a 2.6 or go to a 3" track. I think it needs to be geared down as well, but I am curious about opinions and real world advise on the track size. Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you go 174 there's only one real way to go IMO. 3".... I think it's a matter of preference. Do you point and shoot. Dabble in the trees? Ride with boosted Yamahas? Have buddy's in your riding group with adequate sleds to go where your goin? I'll tell you first hand it sucks being stuck by yourself. A few buddy's I know went back to a 162 3".

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Solid advise, much appreciated. True being stuck solo is a bad deal, but gives the guys something to shoot for trying to keep up. I'm a big fan of the 162 x 2.6 but just gotta take it up a notch and see what it can do. It's going to get some TLC this week and a few bucks thrown at it so it should rock and roll pretty good. A little clutching but no need to gear it down with a solid 260 hp under the very vented hood! I've wanted to build a turbo long track with some hp for awhile, but will always love my M1000 that has taken me everywhere over the past few years, just time for a serious upgrade. Going with the 174 x 3 camoplast X3. What do you ride?

BDF#900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just be ready to feel like you had your azz kicked all day! They provide awesome traction, that combined with some good HP and you will find out how tired you can be from just "cruising around". Would seriously recommend a 3 inch 162, and not the new floppy one. Buy a 16 wide and cut it down, way better track. Not to mention the fact that it will do nothing for your resale value, harder to sell and will get less than a 162 sled.
It will take you places that will have you pulling your Huggies out of your butt, and if that's what you want, go for it!

Reaction score
FastFarmer- I'm riding a 250-300 evo tune with a 162x3". I opted out of going 174, wasn't in my best interest and personally I think "overall" fun factor will be greater with a 162. It will still pull a serious line with that track, no problems going places where as you said "gives you something for your buddy's to shoot for". The difference is they might have a chance to come lend a hand after awhile.

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your opinions guys, it's definitely what I want to go with. Other than the Z1 that I bought this is the first turbo mountain sled I've had and am set on getting it geared up for the steep and deep. I've been riding 162's and they can never take me to that next peak so it's time to step it up a notch. I'm excited to see what it'll do.........and at the end of the day if it ends up I'm spending too much alone time with a shovel or holding down the fort on the fourth day, back to a 162 x 3! I considered that option, but ended up with the 174. Thanks again fellas.

catsass

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you doing with your 2.6 I may be interested in it if its for sale

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride with guys that went 174, 2.5 and 3 inch. Tough time in the trees and have to work harder to rip it in the deep stuff. I stuck with 162" 2.6". I go where they go and have more fun getting there!! Actually one pal says he is going back to 162. He finds 174 too long.. If anything 162, 3 inch. But you need the ponies to turn the 3" for good track speed. jm2c.... If you had any experience with short hiway or tridoms tractors turning in crap conditions you will know what I mean!! Good Luck!!

JustBoostIt

Reaction score
Website
www.whiteknucklemotorsports.ca
There is no comparison of a 2.5 to a 3" whether its on a 162 or a 174. That is not to say that a 2.5 or 2.6 won't get it done for you but the 3" does it substantially better and easier the deeper the snow gets. I run a 300+ Evo SC and I had a 2.5 174 on for a short while. When I had it apart to put my built motor in I did the 3", 7t drivers, hd 800 shaft, hd engine bracket & motor mounts, and Hyvo gears. I changed to the 3" cause I then had all the parts to do it the way I wanted. I was rushed for the sled show when I did the 2.5". On my '14 build I am going back to the 162 and doing the 3". Unless your crew you ride with dictates it or you ride 2-3' all the time the 174 is a big dog and takes some work. 3" definitely gives you more vibration too.

Top Bottom