174" or 162" for a 270 Nytro?

jockdoc

Reaction score
Just wondering what is best for all around riding? 174 or 162 for a 270 HP Nytro.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last spring I bent up my M-10 live axle skid real bad and had to replace it so went from a 162 to a 174 on the advice from Racer's Edge. I originally thought of just sticking with the 162 as I do a lot of tree riding and some hill climbing but no extreme chute climbing (too expensive to wreck an entire sled). I have an Impulse race turbo running 15 to 17 lbs boost and absolutely LOVE the 174 as it hooks up noticeably better with the higher hp. Way better floatation and with the extra length it allows me to go slower in the trees and pick my lines better. It does need a little more effort to turn but hardly noticeable and with me being about 225 lbs, not that big a deal to haul it around. I went with just the 2.5" and its lots for me as occasionally we ride at the lake so did not want a 3". The Racer's Edge skid is absolutely the best skid I have ever had and I've been very impressed. Daryl and Lance definitely provide good service and a great product. Good luck with your choice!

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what is best for all around riding? 174 or 162 for a 270 HP Nytro.

Do the 174 for sure.... Its unreal in the deep snow and actually rides nice down the rough trails.
Based on the racers edge skid

jockdoc

Reaction score
Cool, thanks. Thats sounds like what I like to do too. We bash lots of trees and ride pretty tight lines sometimes so I have been debating the benefit of the 174. However, I like to climb a bit too, so the 174 would be better for that, hey? Did you consider the K-Mod or Timbersled skid? I like your description of riding a bit slower and being able to enjoy the benefit of the float. That makes good sense.

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
174 works best for climbing especially paired with your sled. Racers edge is awesome but pricey!! I have 174 racers edge on my apex and my pro... Love them and do lots of tree riding. But I think I'm going to try a timbersled skid next year on my new build for something different and less expensive.

jockdoc

Reaction score
What about a 16" wide track? Or stay with the 15" wide? My buddy is running a 16" wide track with his 174 mated to a CR tunnel - It rubs a bit, but doesn't seem to be a long term issue?

JP.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What about a 16" wide track? Or stay with the 15" wide? My buddy is running a 16" wide track with his 174 mated to a CR tunnel - It rubs a bit, but doesn't seem to be a long term issue?

I'd stay 15 wide with your nytro..., I will be building a new viper turbo with a 15 wide 174 3 inch next year. Will be a bit easier riding in tight trees and won't really affect climbing ability.

JungleJim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After having a twisted up M-10 suspension I went with Neil from Boost-It's recommendation to go with the Racer's Edge and couldn't be happier as I also know Daryl makes nice stuff. My buddy has Timbersled and it works okay but not as good as Racer's Edge in my opinion. I need to keep my sled approximately for forever given how much I have into it so the difference in cost is a matter of perspective...

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run the 240 setup with a 174x16, 2.5. Awsome track in the deep and climbing. No issues with the lugs, unlike the 3", with a 4stroke turbo like a 240-270hp the 3" dont stay on very well. The track speed combined with centrifical force and weight peels them off. It appears the 3" is better suited for non turbo sleds when it comes to lug life, but hard to beat 3" hookup with a Tnytro.
The 2.5 will go the long haul and still will give you exceptional hookup on a Tnytro with the 174.
If you run the 162 with stock rails you will notice a HUGE difference in handling compared to the 174 with IceAge rails. The 162 with stock rails is alot easier to handle, while the 174 does require a rail mod or replacement, with the IceAge rails its feels much heavier. Though the sled stays planted(nose down) way better while climbing.
As i mention i run a 16" no issues in a STOCK tunnel. One of the nice option with the Nytro, unlike Cat or Poo. It does require a little tunnel cleaning, bolts and revits and a well adjusted track but it does fit very well.
Personnaly i don't know if i would do it again, the 162x2.5 on a 240 Turbo Nytro climbed ALMOST just as well as a 174x2.5, only in the deepest snow the 174 had the advantage. But the handling of the 162 with stock rails was far better.
As for a 3", unless your into huge climbs the lug issues they have isn't worth the advantage IMO.

BTW, if i was to upgrade the rear suspension, it would be either a CR-racing M10 or EasyRider.

Top Bottom