156x3" questions...

zenk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I figured this was the best place to get answers to my questions.
I have been thinking of trying a 156x3" swap on my 2013 summit x 800.

Do i need to do a drop and roll?
What do i all need to change out? clutching? drivers? rear idler wheels?
anyone running this set up now?
issues?
worth it?

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7 tooth drivers and bigger rear wheels or move skid back a touch .
Longer track and smaller driver.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard lots of good things about that track. You can either run 7T drivers with the stock chaincase or run an extended chaincase and 8T drivers. With 7T's it gears it down a fair bit so clutching would not be mandatory but there would definitely be some gains with it. I have heard of guys doing it with the stock idlers and slotting out the rails for more adjustment but bigger rear wheels works too. Seems like once the track breaks in and stretches a little you are right borderline to needing bigger rear wheels.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use Avid 7t, Wahls are too big. TKI makes a nice 2wheel offset axle that uses the stock wheels, moves them straight back 1".
Also, trim the rivets directly above the drivers to clear the lugs.

dooberry

Reaction score
If you go with the 7T avids you may want to consider trimming the outside lugs of the track 3mm for slightly better clearance. Centre lugs have adequate clearance. Track will fit without trimming so it is more of a personal preference.

zenk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go with the 7T avids you may want to consider trimming the outside lugs of the track 3mm for slightly better clearance. Centre lugs have adequate clearance. Track will fit without trimming so it is more of a personal preference.

When you say trim 3mm, do you mean 3mm from edgo of track inward towards the center of track or from tip down so make the lugs on edge 3mm shorter then 3"???
Also i am guessing a 9" rear idlers?

dooberry

Reaction score
When you say trim 3mm, do you mean 3mm from edgo of track inward towards the center of track or from tip down so make the lugs on edge 3mm shorter then 3"???Also i am guessing a 9" rear idlers?
3mm off the top of the lugs not along the outside edge. Still very tight even after filing rivets down. Big wheel kit with 9" wheels solves any track adjusting problems.

powderup

Reaction score
Once the paddles permafold there is adequate clearance and even new there is enough clearance as long as center rivets are ground down in tunnel. The OD of the avid 7t is roughly 1" smaller than the 8t so it is going to cancel out the extra 1/2" of lug. That's what I am running. Run track a little tight because it can rub if you get on the brakes hard.

powderup

Reaction score
Biggest thing is clock your drivers correctly and ensure they are clocked to the insides of the drive windows. To keep the track from walking side to side.

YamaDooPolCat

Reaction score
Once the paddles permafold there is adequate clearance and even new there is enough clearance as long as center rivets are ground down in tunnel. The OD of the avid 7t is roughly 1" smaller than the 8t so it is going to cancel out the extra 1/2" of lug. That's what I am running. Run track a little tight because it can rub if you get on the brakes hard.

The spec sheet on the 2013 XM and the spec on the 2015 T3 shows the same 7.2" diameter of the drive sprocket. The drivers are the same size.
The difference is the 2013 runs the 2.86" track, and the 2015 T3 runs a 3.00" track lug so they dropped a cog off the driver, or they would have had to make the driver bigger to keep the same teeth. The stock 8 tooth and the 7 tooth both end up having the same size drivers. There is no cancellation of the increase in track height.

T-team

"big deal"
Reaction score
Hello all. I figured this was the best place to get answers to my questions.
I have been thinking of trying a 156x3" swap on my 2013 summit x 800.

Do i need to do a drop and roll?
What do i all need to change out? clutching? drivers? rear idler wheels?
anyone running this set up now?
issues?
worth it?

I think Cody at Riderz built one last year... Those guy should be able to help you out

powderup

Reaction score
The spec sheet on the 2013 XM and the spec on the 2015 T3 shows the same 7.2" diameter of the drive sprocket. The drivers are the same size.
The difference is the 2013 runs the 2.86" track, and the 2015 T3 runs a 3.00" track lug so they dropped a cog off the driver, or they would have had to make the driver bigger to keep the same teeth. The stock 8 tooth and the 7 tooth both end up having the same size drivers. There is no cancellation of the increase in track height.
Ok maybe one of us is misunderstanding. All I was saying is the avid 7t driver is 1" smaller diameter than the stock 8t driver on the 13, so when you go to the 3" track that is how it is able to fit. I am not familiar with the t3. Doesn't it have an extended chaincase to run the 8t or is it running a 7t driver? either way, if the op was asking about running the 156 x3 it will clear with the avid 7t driver.

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
T3 has the smaller 7t 3.0 drivers. The 8t 2.86 are bigger.. You can easily fit 8t 3.0
'S in the T3 but they are more prone to damage and you may run into gearing limitations.

mountainshredder69

Reaction score
Bought my freeride with this setup...all i can say is wow! Previous owner dialled the clutching and gearing perfectly. Took it to revy for the past week performed flawlessly running a 10" big wheel kit works like a dream

*gearing from a stock 163 and i havent popped the clutch off to see what was in there yet and it has a tss pipe and can if that makes a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought my freeride with this setup...all i can say is wow! Previous owner dialled the clutching and gearing perfectly. Took it to revy for the past week performed flawlessly running a 10" big wheel kit works like a dream

*gearing from a stock 163 and i havent popped the clutch off to see what was in there yet and it has a tss pipe and can if that makes a difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whos big wheel kit was used?

rev801

Reaction score
Any idea if there is a big difference from stock? Does the 3" track make a big difference? Thinking of this option.

Top Bottom