14 Ram 2500 front end advice

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 14 Ram 2500 with about 28K on it. Lately, when I turn, front end jerks around like it's in 4wd, but the track isn't in 4wd, nor is it stuck in 4wd.

Had it in under warranty for an inspection. I was expecting a worn u-joint or upper ball joints. They tell me it's an aligment issue due to excessive caster as caster is out by almost 2 degrees (sounds excessive?)

Got truck back and seems a little better. In the meantime, it's gotten icier around town. Tough to get the front end to dig in to feel the jerking. I know it's still there, but not as pronounced as before. They tell me there isn't any wear in any of the front end.

While getting new rubber mounted yesterday, out of the blue, guy asks me If I've ever had the front end looked at. Says they wouldn't pass the upper ball joints on a safety with the amount of play they have in them.

Any advice in this? Local chassis shop has told me to fight them as he sees uppers going prematurely from an axle that is slightly bent. I have troule seeing this, but he says it's more common than I would think.

Truck wallows for lack of better words on the highway. Rides somewhat tight, but over bumpers, sunken tire tracks on the highway, it wallows side to side more than it has in the past. Truck stays on the highway, it's not abused over any bush roads.

Anyone out there with an opinion or experience? Even though it's under warranty, I'm tempted to swap them out for piece of mind to some spicers or Dynatrac's.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would personally check out carli ball joints lifetime warranty I believe... do it once and do it right. If that doesn't fix it sucks but not likely dodge will go out of there way in my experience to make it right but I hope they do for your sake.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
moog problem solver ball joints are 1/4 the price and lifetime warranty... jus' sayin' ..... but dodge should look after the warrany no problem, if you're still within the 36/60 warranty

I am...after some previous problems I have bumper to bumper up to 120k.

Thanks Guys

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scary that a truck that new would have that much wear or problems in the front end. After having front end problems year after year you'd think dodge would step up and use better quality components. I guess that's how they keep their prices lower than Ford and GM by cutting corners like this. All diesel trucks eat front end components quicker but dodge seems to have way more problems. Doesn't matter though because it's got a cummins.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scary that a truck that new would have that much wear or problems in the front end. After having front end problems year after year you'd think dodge would step up and use better quality components. I guess that's how they keep their prices lower than Ford and GM by cutting corners like this. All diesel trucks eat front end components quicker but dodge seems to have way more problems. Doesn't matter though because it's got a cummins.

I've had 4 Rams in 10 years. Everyone of them seems to wear out the front end sooner than the previous

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had 4 Rams in 10 years. Everyone of them seems to wear out the front end sooner than the previous

my 2010 1500 is needing its 3rd set of ball joints at 90,000 km. seriously wtf, they replaced the first ones around 45,000 on warrenty. I have the clunky jarring feeling in the front end again. Off warrenty now, the service guy was like do you even want mopar ones? maybe you should put greasable aftermarkets in. hahaha fawk. Also he was blown away when i had to correct him it was a 1500, not 2500 or 3500. Said he could count on one hand 1500s that have needed even once under 100k...

c_nelson99

Reaction score
Might want to consider looking at the tires, if you have any strange wear patterns from before the alignment was corrected it can cause strange steering issues, first thing i'd do is rotate them.

The spec for balljoints is kinda sketchy, when the dealer checks them they use a dial indicator to measure the deflection. Its prob like 90thousandths of an inch before they'll call them bad. If the tire shop mechanic is saying they are worn he might just be doing a visual inspection and not measuring them, this can be why the dealer says they are good as they might still be in spec. Its odd to see upper ball joint issues before the lowers wear out as the far more load is placed on the lowers.

Not sure what you are running for tires and rims on your truck but if you have a wider offset rim than factory you might end up with the tires not staying as parallel during full crank and this would cause one to track different causing drag on one tire. Not enough toe in on your alignment might be an issue as well.

Last edited:

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might want to consider looking at the tires, if you have any strange wear patterns from before the alignment was corrected it can cause strange steering issues, first thing i'd do is rotate them.

The spec for balljoints is kinda sketchy, when the dealer checks them they use a dial indicator to measure the deflection. Its prob like 90thousandths of an inch before they'll call them bad. If the tire shop mechanic is saying they are worn he might just be doing a visual inspection and not measuring them, this can be why the dealer says they are good as they might still be in spec. Its odd to see upper ball joint issues before the lowers wear out as the far more load is placed on the lowers.

Not sure what you are running for tires and rims on your truck but if you have a wider offset rim than factory you might end up with the tires not staying as parallel during full crank and this would cause one to track different causing drag on one tire. Not enough toe in on your alignment might be an issue as well.

Thanks. I just threw new winter Hakka's on thee this week. With either set of tires, front end is a little wobbly. Actually met with Service manager yesterday. We went for a ride and it is something I can feel, but he couldn't. Seems more pronounced at highway speed than in town. Either way, have appt to bring it back so they can put on a lift.

c_nelson99

Reaction score
if you have a leveling kit it can also give you a strange feeling in the front end while going over big up-down transition bumps due to the track bar not being parallel to the steering linkage. You end up with the axle not riding perfectly centered to the truck a tiny bit and it can cause the steering to feel like its pulling sideways a bit with large suspension movements.

Top Bottom