13 involved in an Avalanche Feb 21/16

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was in the Chatter Creek ski area. Many airlifted to hospital.

Not good for the SPAW warning to be sent out and then this....

Hope everyone is ok.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: 13 involved in an Avalanche today.

Did anyone else who uses the app on i pad or samsung phone get the special warning? I can see it on the desktop version of the avalanche.ca site but not in the app? Thats a full cat load minus guide or tail guide. Dang

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Most of the skiers were late fifties or older. Glad to hear everyone will be ok.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It was in the Chatter Creek ski area. Many airlifted to hospital.

Not good for the SPAW warning to be sent out and then this....

Hope everyone is ok.

They usually are pretty good with their Avalanche mitigation program. and guides are highly trained. Eager to hear full story on this one.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just read this message from the folks at chatter.

"Dear Friends, Family and Guests,
We have become aware, through some channels, of avalanches in the Golden area. Instantly, our hearts, minds and thoughts are for all those involved, from those exploring the wilderness, to those involved in search and rescue.
We want to assure everyone who has loved ones associated with Chatter Creek that, despite some reports, the incidents did not occur at our operation, nor in our tenure. Everyone is home safely this evening.
For those in the media reporting the location of incidents, we suggest - for accuracy, prevention and general awareness purposes - the phrase "Quartz Creek" provides more accurate information for yesterday's incident.
Obviously, we remain on standby to do whatever we can to help. We thank the Golden-area mountain professionals - guides, search and rescue, medical, RCMP - who are assisting and those involved, and their families.
From all of us at Chatter Creek

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So where was this and was it today? Skiers? Sledders? etc.. ?

pcledrew

Reaction score

I noticed the exact same thing, the app did not provide the 'special warning' that the website did.

Did anyone else who uses the app on i pad or samsung phone get the special warning? I can see it on the desktop version of the avalanche.ca site but not in the app? Thats a full cat load minus guide or tail guide. Dang

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I wonder if this was at Sentry, Meadow or Vista lodge?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

Is this something that can be included in an update?

It would be great to not have to check two locations for what is critical emergency information.

Thanks for the information.
We all need to take screen shots on our mobile devices showing avalanche Canada that the SPAW is not showing up and email it to them. The more of us "general" public that raise awareness to this the more likely it is to get bumped up on their priority list. Zacs Avy Crew does not have any control over this issue however they did say last night that it is a big issue

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I emailed them yesterday, probably not great timing as they are likely getting bombarded with media requests. I do encourage sending it out though. With the focus towards using the app it makes sense for it to be on the app. That is the problem with all real websites being designed for ipads and such. Should be able to make it appear on the app

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We all need to take screen shots on our mobile devices showing avalanche Canada that the SPAW is not showing up and email it to them. The more of us "general" public that raise awareness to this the more likely it is to get bumped up on their priority list. Zacs Avy Crew does not have any control over this issue however they did say last night that it is a big issue

I'm sorry guys, but this is on Avalanche Canada's list and they understand the need for this to happen. Multiple emails and complaints will not help (but becoming a member will ;)). They are working on the issue as fast as they can and are completely aware of the bug. Apps are difficult creatures as messing with one thing affects the other. To date they have been working other bugs out of the app and working on major parts of the MIN which is an extremely valuable tool. The SPAW issue is high priority and is hoped to be fixed on the next available update for the app.

SPAWS are extremely rare, I wish we could get this much attention on getting people to read past the one word danger rating....or read the bulletin in general.

Do you know what "considerable" really means.....?

Last edited:

Zacs Avy Crew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.zacstracs.com

Is this something that can be included in an update?

It would be great to not have to check two locations for what is critical emergency information.

Thanks for the information.

It is certainly something that we are hoping they will be able to resolve very very soon. Fortunately, I am not a techy person so I do not know what needs to go into that type of programming. Floating the suggestion that they manually add it to the actual bulletins so when you are viewing them on the app you will see it in BOLD Uppercase lettering. At least then the people that are only looking at the app will see there is information that they NEED to be aware of.

Still when your aware let everyone know about it. Not everyone has a computer or laptop anymore so the actual Avalanche Canada Website may not be accessed as much as the apps will be.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I wonder if this was at Sentry, Meadow or Vista lodge?

It was Sunrise, near Sentry, across the lake from Chatter. Big terrain up there where mistakes will cost you, I know several people who've been up there and all have had near misses. Can't stress enough how much emphasis and respect people need to give the backcountry when a SPAW is issued, a beacon and probe and a little bit of experience is simply just not enough.

Top Bottom