100 year thought experiment

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a question that occurred to me this morning. What do I do in my life now that would have been the same if I had been born 100 years earlier?

I thought of things like traveling to work, brushing my teeth, showering, mowing the lawn, and eating supper - just to name a few - that I am doing differently.

But it's hard for me to think of things that are the same. Maybe something like chopping wood with an axe or climbing a tree would be the same, but I don't do either so I can't make that one of my answers.

If this question is interesting to you, I suggest not reading the replies in this thread for a while to give yourself some thing to think about it. Come back a day or two later with your answers.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Here's a question that occurred to me this morning. What do I do in my life now that would have been the same if I had been born 100 years earlier?

I thought of things like traveling to work, brushing my teeth, showering, mowing the lawn, and eating supper - just to name a few - that I am doing differently.

But it's hard for me to think of things that are the same. Maybe something like chopping wood with an axe or climbing a tree would be the same, but I don't do either so I can't make that one of my answers.

If this question is interesting to you, I suggest not reading the replies in this thread for a while to give yourself some thing to think about it. Come back a day or two later with your answers.

Im assuming I love my wife and kids as much as I would have a hundred years ago. Other than that I love pretty modern.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something i do today that i would had done 100 years ago is fish. I don't mean dragging a line behind a boat like a poacher. But standing by the water with a flyrod in hand casting the latest hatch, watching the sun rise and not having to look at the F'n redneck down the way guzzling his beer and being a loud mouth while dragging a line in his redneck pouching tub.....
For me fly fishing.

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Basic food production is relatively the same. We plant a garden every year and I see more parallels than difference in what previous generations did.

Marriage isnt alot different although seems easier to get out of nowadays

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

My wife's grandpa is in his early 90s and still remembers when he come to Canada like it was yesterday. A couple summers ago we we went on a road trip as he wanted to see where he homestead one more time before he dies. (He's still around) His stories of clearing land with horses, a d3 dozer and rebuilding fences that were drifted over with dirt in the 30s were unbelievable. His stories that day I will remember for the rest of my life.
One thing that stands out in the OP is that grandpas wife was a teacher at a school that was 15 ish miles from home. He said that he remembers when he would drive her to work Sunday evening and pick her up Friday. In the summers once they got a car it was pretty good. But in the winter when roads were not plowed he did that trip with horses and a sleigh. It took him all day to do the trip. When we were driving his route we come around a corner and he says, I would get to this corner at midnight on Sunday after dropping his wife off at school and was on his way back home. I could not believe how far the homestead still was. I asked him how he knew where he was going? He said that sometimes the moon would light his way but if it was cloudy the horses walked that route so many times they would just walk back home. He then says they were better than the any gps in our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something i do today that i would had done 100 years ago is fish. I don't mean dragging a line behind a boat like a poacher. But standing by the water with a flyrod in hand casting the latest hatch, watching the sun rise and not having to look at the F'n redneck down the way guzzling his beer and being a loud mouth while dragging a line in his redneck pouching tub.....
For me fly fishing.

Bet you're not using a split cane rod though. Probably have much better waders now. Modern fly line? Even the simple things have changed drastically in 100 years.

bebaldus

Reaction score
Bumping uglies with the SO is old as time!

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Grew up on the farm in the 60's and early 70's without power and running water, outhouse with the sears catolog, that's why appreciat everything I have now nothing was ever given to me on a silver plater.

olymon

Reaction score
Bumping uglies with the SO is old as time!

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Oh, no, not quite.... Just look up the condoms of old days. Not quite the same a today.

Making JIS screws into junk

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Horses for me. They are a big part of my life today and they would've been 100 years ago. Some things have changed I guess. We use better tack now. Use different training methods. Also one could argue that through breeding programs we ride better overall horses (like I said arguably) nowadays. But man, every time I tack up one of my horses, throw a leg over and ride out, I feel like I've stepped back in time. I love that feeling and it never gets old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom