10 ply winter tires for half ton?

4G63PWR

Reaction score
Just looking for others thoughts on winter tires. I have an f150 that will tow 3 sleds max on an open trailer. The guys at Kal tire are trying to sell me E load range tires(Nokian hakkapeliitta lt2). I do not use the truck as a daily driver, mainly just for sledding.

The tires I would like to get are the Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV, but they are a standard load tire. They are cheaper and I assume would get better fuel economy due to their lightness over the lt2's. The trailer is well balanced and wouldn't have an extreme amount of hitch weight.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

lightweight

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The LT tire has more advantages than just a weight rating. A much sturdier tire . You have a truck not a SUV . My personal experience run the best tires . You could be in very extreme weather conditions and your tires make a difference. You could always us a D rated LT2 . The only time I ran E rated tires was with a sled deck

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those guys sold me e rated tires for my 08 dodge half ton when it was new. They sucked beyond belief. On my last truck which was a 2013 1/2t the stock tires had no issue with weight. I hauled a 16' enclosed with up to 3 sleds or quads, etc. I would not put the e rated tires on. You can get d rated tires with different load ratings. My winter tires on my 1t are actually d rated but each tire is rated at 3100lbs.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Biggest problem with the stock tires, is there p rated passenger car tires

Rocks go through the driving contact face super easy, compared to a 8 or 10 ply

What do u drive on lots on mountain roads ect, sharp rocks

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just looking for others thoughts on winter tires. I have an f150 that will tow 3 sleds max on an open trailer. The guys at Kal tire are trying to sell me E load range tires(Nokian hakkapeliitta lt2). I do not use the truck as a daily driver, mainly just for sledding.

The tires I would like to get are the Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV, but they are a standard load tire. They are cheaper and I assume would get better fuel economy due to their lightness over the lt2's. The trailer is well balanced and wouldn't have an extreme amount of hitch weight.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks

As a general rule a 10 ply tire will not have the traction a 4 ply or 6 ply will, but will have much better load carrying capacity to state the obvious. If your only towing and not packing much weight I would look for a good 6 ply tire. As Tex pointed out 4 ply or "P" rated tires are very prone to flats in the winter because of the fine crush on roads drilling into them.

Hakks are great tires, but if your looking for something very good but not as expensive check out the Firestone Winterforce. I changed over 2 of my vehicles to them 5 years ago and is now the only tire I will buy for winters, great traction and a good price.

What size of tire are you running?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only other note, as a Lt truck tire new will also have more tread depth new ( depending on brand ect) , than a p rated tire

Usually by 3-4 /32 less new depth, so u get less life out if them

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yup.... 10 ply on a half ton will take away from the plush ride, and 10 ply overkill. Go with a 6 or 8 ply(c or d rated) and preserve the ride somewhat. Can also get xl rated tires which are much heavier build than a p metric tire. Any of the heavier tires will have much better drivability when towing or loaded, because the side wall reinforcement won't cause as much "sway". Also, gas mileage will slightly increase(theoretically) due to less rolling resistance, but also slightly less road contact area, due to the higher tire pressure and stiffer tire. My dodge 1500 Laramie with 4 wheel air ride suspension will be getting the 8 ply BFG t/a ko2's which are also winter snowflake designated all weather tire. Drop tire pressure to 35-40 psi when no load, and crank up the pressure to 50-55 psi when loaded or towing ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4G63PWR

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I would only be driving on the highway. Only off roading would be a snow covered parking lot. Haha.

I found some 17" steel wheels with monitoring sensors off kijiji for $400, Kal tire wanted $850 for the same thing. Probably run 265/70/17's. Stock is 275/55/20.

Also trying to decide between studded or non studded. The Nokians have a new stud design that lasts much longer, and aren't prone to falling out. Studded tires are only about $100 more for 4. Would only be putting on about 2-3k km's per year.

I know studs are noisy, but newer trucks are very sound insulated. How bad could it be? Famous last words

4G63PWR

Reaction score
Also, per the nokian website, they rate the hakkapeliitta 8's as a light truck/SUV tire. The ones I am looking at are rated for 2700lbs each. Should be more than enough.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Loved my winter studded tires so much last year we bought them for the wife's suv. I recommend the studded tires. They saved me a few times last year. I don't notice any noise from them.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I would only be driving on the highway. Only off roading would be a snow covered parking lot. Haha.

I found some 17" steel wheels with monitoring sensors off kijiji for $400, Kal tire wanted $850 for the same thing. Probably run 265/70/17's. Stock is 275/55/20.

Also trying to decide between studded or non studded. The Nokians have a new stud design that lasts much longer, and aren't prone to falling out. Studded tires are only about $100 more for 4. Would only be putting on about 2-3k km's per year.

I know studs are noisy, but newer trucks are very sound insulated. How bad could it be? Famous last words
If your running dedicated winter tires and swapping out for the summers go with studded, cant go wrong. As for your sizing, that is the exact same as what I run on my wife's yukon and it works well, the 17's in the winter, 20's in the summer. The Firestone Winterforce studded have treated us very well, going into her 4th winter and show little signs of wear.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Studded tires are designed to limit the noise these days with the offset patterns.... Only really notice a slight clicking like sound at slow speeds, especially with windows down, pulling up to McDonald's drive through ;) lol

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Studded tires are designed to limit the noise these days with the offset patterns.... Only really notice a slight clicking like sound at slow speeds, especially with windows down, pulling up to McDonald's drive through ;) lol

you strike me as more of an A&W kind a guy

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup.... 10 ply on a half ton will take away from the plush ride, and 10 ply overkill. Go with a 6 or 8 ply(c or d rated) and preserve the ride somewhat. Can also get xl rated tires which are much heavier build than a p metric tire. Any of the heavier tires will have much better drivability when towing or loaded, because the side wall reinforcement won't cause as much "sway". Also, gas mileage will slightly increase(theoretically) due to less rolling resistance, but also slightly less road contact area, due to the higher tire pressure and stiffer tire. My dodge 1500 Laramie with 4 wheel air ride suspension will be getting the 8 ply BFG t/a ko2's which are also winter snowflake designated all weather tire. Drop tire pressure to 35-40 psi when no load, and crank up the pressure to 50-55 psi when loaded or towing ;)

How do these BFG's compare to the general grabber at2's in your opinion?

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

maybe not all brands lol put studded tires on the fiancés Mitsubishi rvr last year and I could've sworn it sounded like it had chains on for the first week or two.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great info thanks... i love the Hacks too as well as blizzacs but will try the winterforce just cause you say they are cheaper... currently i run hacks which are studed... great tire but when did studs get so small? lol

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it pretty hard on the studs running them on dry pavement? Our weather varies so much here that it might be dry for a month, but then have a nasty storm come through where studded tires would be nice.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it pretty hard on the studs running them on dry pavement? Our weather varies so much here that it might be dry for a month, but then have a nasty storm come through where studded tires would be nice.
Yes it is but nokian has designed studs differently if you get the pre studded version and they are a bit better. Studs also leave metal fragments all up the sides of your vehicle so wash regularly to avoid the need to clay bar all the rust spots come spring.

Top Bottom