10.9 hard bolt for AXYS driveshaft.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Although there have been no failures reported here yet, after the recent recall on the 15's and many failures we experienced or heard about, we thought it prudent to order in new bolts for the AXYS lower gears.

The new bolt is the same dimensions as the oem but 10.9 hardness instead of 8.8

$5 each and in stock but not yet on our web-page.

Please do not wait for the failure first as it can ruin your day and can be very dangerous as you will have no brakes.

Keep in mind also that the failures seen on the Pro-ride chassis usually occurred at 1000 kms or more.

Chris

Attachments

• 2016-01-25 14.37.20.jpg
    2016-01-25 14.37.20.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Towed my friends 15 out a couple of weeks ago. He got the recall notice from the dealer the morning we went riding...by the evening I was towing it back. It didn't take him long to figure out what the problem was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting lots of calls from guys with 15's failing but 16's are much better.

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what the bulletin said I thought it was only the 15's but my memory is a lil froggy.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
15 only. But I changed the bolt on my 14 also. Same crappy bolt.

poo88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
15 only. But I changed the bolt on my 14 also. Same crappy bolt.
Seems dumb that it's not included in the recall then. Probably safe to assume the 13's have the same crap bolt too.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i thought it had something to do with the drive shaft having a slight wobble in it.

Sent from my rk312x using Tapatalk

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No the bolt backs off over time and the clearance between it and the gear leads to the head sheeting off. The real fix would have been a longer driveshaft instead of a deeper gear.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i thought it had something to do with the drive shaft having a slight wobble in it.

Sent from my rk312x using Tapatalk

We see sloppy splines on the shafts that allow the wobble and then that works on weakening the bolt. There is now a recall on the 15's due to corrosion in the axle threads. I don't believe this is the problem at all. Might be a convenient way to get sleds to the dealers to inspect the shafts without getting everyone excited. The fix according to Polaris is to change out the bolt. I believe this just buys more time to get them through warranty. If you own a 13-15 check the bolt torque often and update to a 12.9 hard bolt at minimum. If your splines are sloppy, it will fail.

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Chris. I was going to mention the corrosion line but I thought it was bs too. Plain old poor design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 14 just broke and dealer replaced it under warranty (as in they gave my the bolt to change) Machine has a Kurts Gear down and the lower pully didnt come all the way off but did wobble a bunch and is a bit sloppy now.

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bolt broke on my 14, had to replace driveshaft,pulley and belt, warranty did cover it. Dealer said they have not seen one do what it did to the end of the shaft. Had 1313 km. Tried to load picture but no luck.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bolt broke on my 14, had to replace driveshaft,pulley and belt, warranty did cover it. Dealer said they have not seen one do what it did to the end of the shaft. Had 1313 km. Tried to load picture but no luck.

I have had many calls this year for this problem. Don't wait to do something about it.

1BIGBADSLVRAM

Reaction score

Driveshaft, pulley, belt and battery for me

Top Bottom