1/2 ton capable of hauling enclosed trailer

xpmaster

Reaction score
hi i have a 2010 f150 with the 5.4l full towing package. i am looking to buy a enclosed trailer big enough for two sleds no longer the 24' pefer a 20'. is anyone out there hauling these trailers with half tons if so some insight be great before i purchase one. wanna make sure it will haul it decent before i buy or i will have to get a diesel first. thanks:smilieicon_ford:

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you can haul it. It wont tow as easily as a 1 ton diesel but it will tow it. If you can afford to, get an aluminum one. It will be easier.

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye on your tranny temp when your pulling.Also check your trucks towing specs to make sure it's legal to pull the trailer when it's loaded (weight wise).Because I think the day is coming when the dot's are going to start clamping down on guys towing!

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye on your tranny temp when your pulling.Also check your trucks towing specs to make sure it's legal to pull the trailer when it's loaded (weight wise).Because I think the day is coming when the dot's are going to start clamping down on guys towing!

His truck has a towing package so will have a trans cooler. He should be fine.

My neighbor is a manager at one of the Alberta DOT scales. last I talked to him he said they were short handed and cant handle the truck traffic let alone 4 wheelers. What he has told me in the past because I have towed over weight trailers is..... Chances are you will never get pulled over BUT if you have an accident and that accident is caused because of you being over weight your in big trouble.
BC goes by the GVW on the truck door. Go over that and your hooped. Alberta goes by the carrying weight of the tires. As long as your not over weight on the tires, your fine. I installed 8 ply tires on my trailer to add me more of a saftey margin. perfectly legal in alberta.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
see people pulling 30 foot holiday trailers with f150 all summer wouldn't a holiday fully loaded weight more than a 4 place with 4 sleds most holiday trailer run between 5000-7000 lbs

xpmaster

Reaction score
thanks for the info guys. the truck is fully loaded with built in trailer brake controller and sway control i know its probably capable just dont wanna kill it. i ususally go to valemount from red earth creek and its about 9hrs one way just the few hills on bc side. gonna see whats out there for trailers and their weights. thanks for the help

thiels2

Reaction score
Spend a little $ money on the truck exhaust,cold air,chip gets alot more air flowing be much easier on the truck spending $1200 bucks on bolt ons is better than buying a new diesel imo lol

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spend a little $ money on the truck exhaust,cold air,chip gets alot more air flowing be much easier on the truck spending $1200 bucks on bolt ons is better than buying a new diesel imo lol

Dont have a diesel huh? Lol

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
K wel while Ur red lining Ur gas 1/2 ton , in second gear trying to do 70 km up a hill, getting 5 mpg.

I'll be waving with my diesel passing up at more than the speed limit and still getting 20 mpg.

Just saying

sent from my htc

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ya and black as Tobys azz soot coming out.

Just wreaks of awsomeness.

sent from my htc

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess when Ur loaded sled trailer pushes u off the road. And I pull u out

I guess so.

Let's just say that last winter I was coming back from golden.
Hit big horn area and still had 3/4 a tank left. Had a 20 foot enclosed with 2 inside.
The storm was crazy. When we hit nordegg there was over a foot and a half on the highway and in 4x4 it was all I could do to keep 40 km up.

When we hit rocky I was on fumes.

That's 89 km for 3/4 a tank.

Ur gas pot would be still there

sent from my htc

Last edited:

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess when Ur loaded sled trailer pushes u off the road. And I pull u out

I guess so.

Let's just say that last winter I was coming back from golden.
Hit big horn area and still had 3/4 a tank left. Had a 20 foot enclosed with 2 inside.
The storm was crazy. When we hit nordegg there was over a foot and a half on the highway and in 4x4 it was all I could do to keep 40 km up.

When we hit rocky I was on fumes.

That's 89 km for 3/4 a tank.

Ur gas pot would be still there

sent from my htc

You can buy a lot of gass with out $200 oil changes and an extra 10 grand on the sticker price :)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL

whats funny is my oil changes are cheaper than a 08 f150.
4.75 for oil filter and 7 l of oil

My fuel filter is close to the same , air filter is close.

So uuuuu wrong

sent from my htc

thiels2

Reaction score
Actually my 2012 hemi does pretty with the 24' aluminum.. wat kinda diesel do u got that holds 7 l of oil? only change half at a time or wat?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's for sale if ya want a real truck to pull the trailer for ya.

Have a look in the classifieds

sent from my htc

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm biting my tongue. If you think a diesel costs less to maintain than a gas pot you have fallen off your rocker.....

Top Bottom