1/2 ton & 2 place enclosed

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody hauling a 2 place enclosed with a 1/2 ton? Getting a 16' Continental Cargo steel frame and plan to pull it with an '05 GMC Z71. I don't think that I will have any power trouble but am thinking that air bags may be a good purchase. Just wondering if anyone has any previous experience with a similar set-up?

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing to worry about unless you start hauling furniture,Air bags are always good but you dont really need them if you only hualing a couple sleds!
catmando!

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We used to have a all aluminum 2 place that we pulled with a 1/2 ton. The need for air bags will depend on tongue weight of the trailer when fully loaded. You should also experiment with loading positions of the sleds and equipment to get the right balance. The one thing I would recommend with any trailer that you may pull in the back country is trailer brakes. Much easier to lock the trailer brakes with adjustment of a good trailer brake controller and drag the trailer down the hill then have it push you down.

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We used to have a all aluminum 2 place that we pulled with a 1/2 ton. The need for air bags will depend on tongue weight of the trailer when fully loaded. You should also experiment with loading positions of the sleds and equipment to get the right balance. The one thing I would recommend with any trailer that you may pull in the back country is trailer brakes. Much easier to lock the trailer brakes with adjustment of a good trailer brake controller and drag the trailer down the hill then have it push you down.

You betcha - trailer has brakes and the controller is already ordered. Web site says the tongue weight is 240 lbs but loaded will be a different story of course.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would think that you should be fine, air bags won't be necessary but they are nice.........happy sledding

Toeknee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my old trailer and truck before I up graded to a bigger one and it pulled it like nothing. I had air bags on it and every other truck that I have owned and would strongly suggest them for all trucks used for hauling

Attachments

• white court nov 06 001.jpg
    white court nov 06 001.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 43

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my old trailer and truck before I up graded to a bigger one and it pulled it like nothing. I had air bags on it and every other truck that I have owned and would strongly suggest them for all trucks used for hauling

Looks like Whitecourt Trailblazers Staging Area.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it will tow it fine,,, just expect 7 miles to the gallon, maybe 8,, or at 90km/h you could get 12 or 13 I am sure

I have towed a 3 place 21ft with all the big 3 half tonnes,, they work fine but the fuel mileage is a bit tuff

yup Trailer brake for sure

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked it up last weekend and the GM pulled it fine. Can't wait to get the sleds home and get it to use this winter. BTW - the truck got about 14 liters/100 km on the way to e-town without the trailer and about 21 liters/100 km with the empty trailer on the way back to Whitecourt so not as bas as I expected for mileage.

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 05 GM 1500 extcab 4X4 with a 5.3L, I have pulled a enclosed 2 place it pulls good, But fuel econ. is about 8 to 10. It is not fun to go too far in the snow or ice on the hiway. The air bag thing I tried to find a good set of air bags, Firestone makes them but it is a poor design. It fit in front of the axle on the spring not on the axle it self (poor design) I just added a leaf and it did not hurt my ride. Now it works good I now don't worry about hitch weight.

Top Bottom