09 XP overheat with camo 2.5

MoSnow

Reaction score
Hey guys. Anyone have problems with overheating after switching to a 2.5" camo extreme from the stock ported track on an 800r? Was running hot on the trail. Mind you I broke I ice scratcher but my heat exchanger was very hot compared to my buddies 2012 etec. I even went into limp mode once and his was hardly warm. Same length snow flap. Have a hard time believing one broken ice scratcher makes that much difference but maybe? Trail wasn't full of snow but not crazy icy either. Do the etecs run cooler than the ptecs? Also what temp does a ptec go into limp mode? Thanks

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I switched my '08 to a 2.5", had trouble overheating in the late spring but only when my snowflap got buggered up and was sucking into the track. no scratchers....once I replaced the flap it quit overheating.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the ptecs do run hotter on the trail ive proven this a few times now against my 2012. on my 2010 itnever overheated once on the trail with stock track and no snowflap.now that i switched tothe 2.5 i have started overheating once in a while. installed 2 scratchers and hasnt done it since.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine overheats from time to time not often though throw both scratchers down dip into the side of the trail once and awhile and keep up some speed you will be good.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one of the biggest issues with the aggressive tracks, heating down the trial, just a quick flip on the side and a little spin out once or twice and your good to go again for a few miles, thats minor to all the good they offer tho

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anything that raises the back end of sled up will require longer flap,scratchers or anything that will get the snow up onto cooler and onto high fax. The hotter the high fax the more load on engine.
Any tunnel extention or big bore will cause problems also. On my 163 that was stretched to 174 with 3 inch i have to run long flap and scratchers as it will heat alot quicker than other sleds.Have engine tech stat as well.
Also one other thing to remember is to keep the speed down on the bigger lug tracks on the hard pack as it will keep the lugs on for alot longer.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep i had to put a long flap back on once i installed the 2.5 track. Overheating problems solved

mxz800x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 2009 also heats, with the new track. as long as my scratchers are out, its all good. the camo xtreme works well other wise.I may have to install a new snow flap,as i cut my flap down a couple of years ago. got tired of backing over it when unloading off of the sled deck.

MoSnow

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think I'll buy a longer flap for the old girl and see what that does. Also got some new scratchers and might put a bogey or 2 back in my skid. I want to run ski scratchers too but haven't found a way to mount that I like

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hang some bolts through the back of my skis for scratchers up front. Cheap easy to do i will take some pick tonight

Top Bottom