XM 800 - Data log?

dda140

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
SHORT AND SWEET IN BOLD

A first time rider friend of mine rented a mountain sled and it quit running after 20 min. Seemingly no warnings on the dash... I was a little behind him towing a calf sled, our group was 8 sleds, running a real easy pace (if not a "slow" place), soft snow on the trail, no one was running scratchers. We couldn't get the sled to fire after that, it wasnt seized. Couldn't pull plugs to check spark or fuel (no tools). Electric start only so I didn't feel for compression (should have checked I guess)... We ditched it on the side of the trail and doubled him up the mountain, the rental company towed it down later in the day.
Now the rental company is looking to charge him for a piston kit, claiming he overheated it, and when he asked how they said "rider error" and "didn't let it warm up properly".
We had all sleds running in the staging area for a while before leaving, and rode a resdiential trail for the first 2-3 min (so, not running agressive reving). He said water temp had 4 bars on the dash (is that the right number)? How long do they typically have to idle before "warm up" mode comes off? It was about -2*C in the morning. Do you think "easy driving" down some side roads is cause enough to damage the thing, even if it's still in warm up mode? Do the computers log if the engine wasn't up to temp when first ridden, and also if it over heated? Or will it just be his word against theirs?
I just don't feel good about this company... They gave him a rental sled, without scratchers, so he really has no option but to ride it as is. The rental shop claims engine failure due to over-heat, how do they know? Now they're making him pay for a set of pistons and a rebuild, sighting a weak explination and no proof. Are they just pushing him around because he's got no sledding experience? Because his friend does... I just don't know new skidoos... I would never expect an overheat in those conditions, especially with 6 other sleds behind him, going the same pace on the same trail with no others even getting a high water temp...
Any comments are apprecitated. Save my friend from a bill he doesn't deserve! Thanks!

P-Gravel

Reaction score
If what you are saying is accurate this would not cause the problem. Tell them you want to see the BUDDS computer program which will log and show if the sled overheat and at what km's this happened. If they will not provide this, they are hosing your buddy.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Probably over heated before he rented it, cause it logs how many times

But unless they clear them for every rent it goes out ( which I can bet ur azz they don't) it was over heated prior

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say your buddy is getting worked. I have ridden 3km of gravel to get into eagles pass in the spring and never overheated my sled. Don't think I have ever seen it go over 5 bars ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine got up to extreme banging hard on the trail in kakwa, it started beeping and I put the scratchers down. Also with warm up it won't let you go much over 4000rpm and clutch engagement is about 3800.

i say they are trying to screw your buddy over, the data log will post a mileage specific overheat and how many times IIRC

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have no idea how the computer logs overheats but have ridden my 800 Etec on packed trail at 80 to 100 K for half an hour and did not seem to heat up. Something a bit suspicious about this...

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked my sled up yesterday. Dealer cleared a few codes, including 2 overheats. Etec protects itself from heat.
Sounds like BS. Would be warranty as well.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They only log two different codes- overheat and extreme overheat. The only time differentiation is how many start cycles since it happened. No mileage, no time or date.
Still sounds like your buddy is getting screwed although it may be difficult to prove. Most rental companies will not charge anything, including rental if the unit goes down that close to the truck unless there is more to the story.

d mills

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not that I don't believe you but I'll have to get out the book and read a little.

Post what you find Doug. I left my '12 idling one time to help a buddy out of some tree's ( took longer than expected). It beeped indicating temp was up. Before I could make it back to the machine it shut itself off. So unless they changed it on the newer models my experience is they do protect themselves.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Post what you find Doug. I left my '12 idling one time to help a buddy out of some tree's ( took longer than expected). It beeped indicating temp was up. Before I could make it back to the machine it shut itself off. So unless they changed it on the newer models my experience is they do protect themselves.

They will definitely shut down while idling, not 100% sure they will shut down when moving but will go into limp mode. It sounds like the OP got a sled that was already shot.

markoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is my guess. Sled got hot and shut down like its supposed to. The computer protects the engine from damage. Now once its off it actually gets hotter because their is no more coolant circulation. Now he hit the electric start and tries to start it. This is when the damage would occur. Cranking over engine which is over heated. Computer will not let it start so no fuel, no oil , hot piston, you have damage. Possible?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Okay, so it's a "new" summit? If so, it would be warranty, if they were a reputable company... Depends what it has for warranty i guess... We often let our sleds idle until they beeped and shut down so the ice from the tunnel could easily break off and didn't make an even bigger mess in the enclosed trailers. Normal riding is 4 bars on the temp guage, but for it to shut down on the trail and not restart is very strange. I would suspect more an ignition or injection problem, especially since it was running fine, and suddenly shut down, without any abnormal noises or temp lite flashing and beeping. Like everyone said, if it gets hot while driving, it goes into default mode, and he would know there was a problem... Get a second opinion at a dealership???

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They're hosing your buddy. It's a rental therefore their risk if it blows up. Etec won't damage itself due to overheat as they shutoff when they get too hot.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you keep on riding in limp mode they will shut off. Ive know this from experience.

When I rebuilt my motor I had 157 overheat codes(limp mode) and 17 severe over heats (shut right off)

And my motor still ran fine.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
From the manual:

On E-TEC models, warm-up is electronically controlled. During this period (up to 10 minutes depending on ambient temperature), engine RPM is limited.

In the trouble shooting section, short beeps repeating rapidly, shutdown procedure in force due to engine overheating or fuel pump problem.

As mentioned above, there is a shutdown process beyond the "limp mode" if over heating continues.

Top Bottom