09 Summit pin weights

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was riding Blue River last weekend and had my clickers on 5 and getting 8000-8200 rpms....i got buddy to take the sled for a rip and he said "it spins too much no torque outta the hole"..so him a a few others say "put less pin weight and try to keep your clicker to as close to one as possible.If u have the clicker higher up it's rides the ramps and doesn't give you the torque "
What kinda pin weight should i use,dunno what is in it right now thinking 14-16...how can i tell?...Thanks

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was riding Blue River last weekend and had my clickers on 5 and getting 8000-8200 rpms....i got buddy to take the sled for a rip and he said "it spins too much no torque outta the hole"..so him a a few others say "put less pin weight and try to keep your clicker to as close to one as possible.If u have the clicker higher up it's rides the ramps and doesn't give you the torque "
What kinda pin weight should i use,dunno what is in it right now thinking 14-16...how can i tell?...Thanks

From what I've read it seems it's best to be on 3 or 4 at elevation.

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

pop ur clutch off and use a 3mm allen wrench to take the set screws "weights" out of your rollers and go from there.

lightening1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

you will want to be in the 4 or 5 clicker with the 441 ramps, they are designed to keep the revs down at cruising speeds and then get steeper at higher clicker numbers, dual cut ramp [ i dont like them] any way anything under 4 and your rpm will hunt.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some people like to tune their clutch for clicker 3, some people like to tune for clicker 1.

Without knowing what you have in their for clutching and what current weight you have it will only be assumptions to go on.

What does your clutch engage at? 3800-3900? A little higher engagement will give you a little more get up and go. Personally I like the 3900 range and use a higher rate spring to get that.

Pick yourself up a kitchen scale if you want to do some tuning and don't have a weight sheet for your pin set. Something that reads in the 0.5 grams would be ideal. Pull your clutch apart if you are familar with that and remove the pins and weigh them.

1 gram of weight is 150-200 rpms. To run on clicker 1 or 2 you would remove about 3 grams. Some people use blue loctite to hold the setscrews in the pins. Not very much is needed. And the inside screw buts up to the cotter pin.

Now your friend, does he weigh the same as you? My buddy who outweighs me by a fair bit finds my sled doesn't pull the proper rpm on climbs, yet it holds 8100 for me just fine? Unless that person weighs in the same range as you it doesn't benefit for them to tune your sled for you.

thumperracing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what holds those set screws in place, I know they are threaded, but it seems like they just float in there?

some guys put a tiny dab of lock tight on them but theres no need for that just tighten them in until they bottom out and they shouldn't move

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you buy the sled new? If the stock clutching is still in there than there is 441 ramps and a 12mm setscrew which is about 13.7 grams of pinweight. Forget what you buddy said your not drag racing! set the sled up for you.
Here is what worked on my 09 before the clutch kit. A 160/350 primary spring and a 6mm setscrew shoud get you in clicker 4 at altitude taching 8100/8200 assuming everything else is working and not out of spec on your sled.
The 441 ramps like to be in clicker 4 and 5.
When my 09 was new I was in the same clicker as you clicker 5 but had no room for error clicker 6 is just bad.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you buy the sled new? If the stock clutching is still in there than there is 441 ramps and a 12mm setscrew which is about 13.7 grams of pinweight. Forget what you buddy said your not drag racing! set the sled up for you.
Here is what worked on my 09 before the clutch kit. A 160/350 primary spring and a 6mm setscrew shoud get you in clicker 4 at altitude taching 8100/8200 assuming everything else is working and not out of spec on your sled.
The 441 ramps like to be in clicker 4 and 5.
When my 09 was new I was in the same clicker as you clicker 5 but had no room for error clicker 6 is just bad.

Actually sold the sled yesterday so now looking for something different...Thanks for all the info though..didn't expect the sled to that fast.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually sold the sled yesterday so now looking for something different...Thanks for all the info though..didn't expect the sled to that fast.

Right on!! now the hunt is on for your new ride!!!

Top Bottom