09 summit brake caliper removal

Nitro800

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm gonna be doing a track swap on my 09, and ive heard that the brake caliper can be a pain to remove. Is there any special tools (ie puller) for this caliper. Or do you guys have any tricks to remove it. Want all the info before i tear into it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dooable with out it but to make life easier just go get the tool. Other helpful tips make sure you try the next biggest torex size on everything to see if you actually have the right size, air tools are your friend if you have access, and maybe a torch to break loctite if something wont move

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dooable with out it but to make life easier just go get the tool. Other helpful tips make sure you try the next biggest torex size on everything to see if you actually have the right size, air tools are your friend if you have access, and maybe a torch to break loctite if something wont move

ya good point. you do NOT want to strip the torx bolts on the brake caliper support or you are hooped

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X3 on the puller. Need to watch the tabs on the inside flange too.(inside on the tunnel that the bolts go in) I broke mine when changing my track. Lined it back up right without the tabs, but a lot easier if the are on the retainer when you try to put it back on.

Nitro800

Reaction score
Is there a trick to releasing that inside flange so as not to break the tabs?

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just tapped the outside of the tunnel a bit with a deadblow hammer, then just cranked on it with my hand on the inside and it moved. Not sure if a guy should take a screw driver and hammer to it or not, not really sure how strong that thing is

Nitro800

Reaction score
Ok, made a puller to get the caliper off. Worked great. got new track in there and drive shaft in the tunnel. Now what is the trick to get that bearing back seated all the way on the shaft? Checked for marks in the shaft and inner race and all is good. do i have to heat it up before or am i missing something?

Nitro800

Reaction score
Ya i figured that out now lol. i drove the bearing out of the caliper and put it on the shaft. Then the housing slipped together like nothing. Got her all together now. Thanks for all the help guys.

Top Bottom