08 summit 800 meltdown

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
08 summit 800. Fired it up today warmed it up good and went about a mile and she stopped dead, managed to get it home squeaked the mag side piston. I'm wondering if now I should be worried about the bottom end. 1600 miles on the sled, always used good oil etc.

the cyl is gonna need a resleeve I know and new pistons etc. but I'm not sure what to think about the bottom end and if somehow that mag side wasn't getting oil.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 182

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's not lack of oil.

Plus no resleave. It's a nicksealed coated cylinder.

from my HTC

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah either way the cyl will have to be replaced not worried about that at all. Curious of where to get a new cyl. And if the bottom end is ok.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check the crank runout or pull the cases apart and inspect and check in v blocks.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is your ring? Crown looks a little crispy..

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rings in the piston still melted in. Oil was 3/4 full
lol crispy is right.. What type of seizure is this looking like ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 153

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am gonna say lean, just from the top being so grey.
What does the y pipe and head look like for colour?

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say lean, and I would think the bottom end may be ok, but definately split the cases and look very careful for any aluminum in the rod bearings. Also a good time to get the crank checked for true and bearings as well. This looks like many I have seen with the cold fuel charge hitting the piston and with that, there is no lubrication. Another is to do with the lean as the top of the piston shows being grey. Another thing can you tell if the pin is still in the ring grove or gone? They did have an issue with heat transfer trough the rings and the pin would be the fault. Just my 2 cents here.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would cause it to I lean like that? Vac leak? I have zero mods other than a can. I did however at the end of last year have the intake screen rip while in revy. And the same trip had a spark plug come loose ( yeah I dunno how that happened) while riding and it was that cyls spark plug I'm not sure if that would be enough to cause this.

Any ideas of the best place to get the parts from particularly the mono block.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am guessing that you had an air leak. PTO seal, reed boots, (Anything before the carbs I would not really suspect). It all comes from the same airbox. Those motors are already starving for air, and that surely is not snow injestion, that would only show on the intake side.

Here is a good deal on a brand new monoblock. It might not be there anymore... Ski-doo XP Rev 800R bombadier monoblock cylinder 800cc twin - Alberta Snowmobiles Parts, Trailers, Accessories For Sale - Kijiji Alberta Canada.

Last edited:

cdnemsguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leaning could be from many things as CUSO says, but I would be suspect on ice or gunk in the main jet on that side. This happened to me when I melted down an older Cat I had. I would definately clean the carbs before I fired your new engine. Also you could check with RTek and see if a big bore kit might be in your future from them. For the price its not bad and they do the coating on the cylinders. Not sure if they could salvage yours but worth asking. Mine sure goes well anyways.

Top Bottom