07 Raptor questions

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I just bought a 07 Raptor and had a few questions if any one could help me out that would be great.
1 what octane of fuel should i use? (the manual just says unleaded big help)motor is sock except a pipe, K&N air filter,and power commander.
2 It needs new rear tires I like Bear claws have used them in the past anyway they only come in 22" size The stock tires are 20" would this affect handling in a negative way? I could get ITP Mud lite's in the right size would these be a better choice?
Thanks.

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would stick with 91 + octane. So premium.

If you go up in tire size might be a good idea to go down a tooth on the front sprocket or up two teeth on the rear. Always change both sprockets and chain together. What type of terrain are ou running. I've always ran holeshots on my sport quads. Never was a fan of mud tires. Keep a square profile o the rear tire. Like a bear claw. This will help in sliding in corners. A round tire wil roll to Much in high speed corners. That's the only handlig issues you will have to worry about.

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bear claws are heavy! stick to a razr or gncc tire. they are lighter and real good off road tire.

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. The type of terrain I ride in is quite varied. It could be sand or mud near Edmonton or rocky in the foot hills. So i need a good all around tire I think a hole shot type of tire would be more suited to hard pack or a track. Most of my riding buddies ride 4x4's so I need an aggressive tire to get through the mud holes I am not to worried about weight as I have no intentions of racing. I think I will probably go with the bear claws.

psullivan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. The type of terrain I ride in is quite varied. It could be sand or mud near Edmonton or rocky in the foot hills. So i need a good all around tire I think a hole shot type of tire would be more suited to hard pack or a track. Most of my riding buddies ride 4x4's so I need an aggressive tire to get through the mud holes I am not to worried about weight as I have no intentions of racing. I think I will probably go with the bear claws.

Actually the Razr and Razr 2 and GNCC Tire are made for what you are doing, and the type of riding you speak of. And when I talk about weight I am referring to rotating mass, you loose tons of power with big and heavy tires. But I'm sure you will enjoy your quad no mater what tire you get.

ghglenn

Reaction score
I would suggest a Razr2 as well. If you need to run the bearclaw, might consider just getting a 4x4 quad (Grizzly). If you plan on mudding a lot, the Raptor is the wrong quad for the job.

flying frenchman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems like the latest Dirtwheels has an article on the Raptor vs Outlander 800 . For being a two wheel drive it sure hauled in every condition that was thrown at it.

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I know most people like a 4x4 for trail riding mud etc but I have always preferred a sport quad. I just bought the Raptor but my old quad is a Suzuki LTZ 400 and I had no problem keeping up with the 4x4's in fact in most cases I am ahead of them except in the skeg however if you keep your weight back and pin it I can usually make it through the skeg hole's (momentum is everything on a sport quad). But I have had others tell me the Bear claws are heavy and I cant seem to find them in the size I need anyway. I will probably get the ITP mud lite's.

Mikehunt

Reaction score
regular fuel is fine. I runs bears claws on mine and there work great in all of the conditons you go riding in I would go down 1 tooth on the front sprocket

Top Bottom