07 M8 Problems Coming Out of Reverse

Bighairybeast

Reaction score
Recently my 07 M8 started having problems transferring back to forward after being in reverse. It goes into reverse fine, then it seems to switch to forward (sounds like it used to and beeper goes out) but it is as if it is in neutral. So I put it back into reverse and it makes a clunking noise. Then it usually goes into forward. Sometimes it takes a few of these cycles.

Any ideas? The first time it happened was at the end of a ride where my sled had a lot of ice buildup due to early season creek crossings; so I thawed my sled right out and it still happens.

catm1000

Reaction score
My 07 m1000 use to do that except it would shift into forward fine, but when you put it in reverse..holy sh-t, sounded like gears grinding bad and still would not go into reverse. Turns out my voltage regulator was screwed and the power wasnt going to where it was needed.
just something to look into:beer:

rowdycat

Reaction score
My buddies had the same issues with his M1000, and i have the same problem with my 07 M8. His turned out being the reverse actuator and got it replaced on warranty. As for me i just unhooked my actuator and dont use the reverse. I was gonna look at it more in depth when i rip my diamond drive apart this weekend.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
#1 water in the plug at the shift motor unplug it a shot of WD40 in the plug let it dry out plug it back in
#2 this happen to me 07 M8 water in diamond drive changed oil problem gone
#3 belt defection was to tight must have 1.5'' to 2.0'' inches movement up and down

hope this helps:cool:

jncmcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you ever grenaded your belt? I did that once and i ripped out one of the wires on the diamond selenoid the changes the directions, look closely at the wires in the footwell if you have blown a belt. Maybe that helps.

jay_boom

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem as you last season, found that the actuator arm was slightly bent from a belt blowing, I removed the motor, actuator and wiring all together and installed Peak Performance's reverse shifter. Works great, only in or out of reverse, alarm still works, they claim a loss of 2 pounds if you are into shedding weight...not a big deal but it does work great. If you can handle not having an electronic button to push anymore it is the way to go for the 07/08 M sleds off of warranty.

Bighairybeast

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Jay. I still haven't figured out the problem but for $25 that Peak Performance arm may end up being a simple solution to many of the possible problems!

Top Bottom